The "Twelve Apostles" on the Australian shoreline.Today was packed full of beautiful scenery. We boarded the tour bus at 7:00 and spent the next 12 hours sightseeing along the southwest coastline from Melbourne. We saw sheep grazing in green pastures, eucalptus trees, surfers, tall Norfolk Island pines, and more. Tomorrow we'll fly to Alice Springs. We have to fly to Sydney first to catch the flight to Alice Springs, so we're leaving the hotel early (6:00 a.m., for crying out loud). Tomorrow night we'll experience a barbecue in the bush. We've yet to spot a koala, and the only kangaroo we've seen is that slice of kangaroo steak on Ken's plate yesterday. I hold out hope, though.
Aussies and Kiwis both drive on the left side of the road. Meant to tell you that ages ago.
A really disgusting Australian and New Zealand food: Vegamite. It's made from beer malt yeast and tastes like something scraped off the bottom of one's feet. The Aussies and Kiwis start feeding it to their children soon after birth, so kids and adults think it's yummy. Yuck. Apparently it does have tremendous nutritional value and discourages children from developing a sweet tooth.
Now to empty out my suitcase, put the warmer clothes on the bottom, where I won't be needing them for the rest of the trip, and put the cooler clothes (if, in fact, I brought any) on the top.
Thanks for your comments, Cheryl. I enjoy and appreciate them.
I'm enjoying your travelogue and photos so much! Some day I hope to travel to Australia myself; for now I'll have to be content with living vicariously through you! Keep the beautiful photos coming.
ReplyDeleteSo interesting--I sent my comment at 2:46 p.m. on April 1, which is where I'm at right now, and the date and time at the bottom of my comment must be Australian time, since it's 15 hours ahead--how cool!
ReplyDelete