This past weekend I tried to start knitting a scarf, but I kept experiencing nothing but frustration. I raveled it four or five times after knitting several rows and finally ditched the pattern altogether.
Ken said maybe it is a pattern that requires TWO eyes for knitting.
He had a good point, because I've been "knitting with one eye" for several months. (These socks, finished last week, are from the one-and-only sock pattern I've ever used, by Yankee Knitter. http://www.kyarns.com/product/yankee-knitter-classic-sock-pattern I used Red Heart "Heart and Sole"super fine yarn and size 2 needles, so they took awhile to knit, but as I've said many times before, there's nothing like a pair of handknitted socks to make the feet feel cozy and cared for.
Anyway, on Tuesday I finally had the obstacle to happy knitting, the cataract in my right eye, removed. This creepy photo is me the evening following the surgery. I can hardly believe how much better my vision has become already. I thought it might take several days or even a few weeks before my sight was much clearer, but yesterday, the day after surgery, was like a dramatic scene from a movie for me: images grew sharper as the day went on, and colors grew richer. I was practically skipping with joy. I had all I could do not to run through the fields, my arms outstretched, singing a happy tune. I'd known for some time I had a cataract, but the thing developed so quickly over the past year that I thought maybe I was just being a wimp in saying I could barely see anything from my right eye. The ophthamologist said the cataract was a "doozie" and he wondered how I was able to see out of that eye at all. I said, "I couldn't."
So that's that. Cataract surgery, which was fairly simple from my perspective although no doubt requiring expert skill by my surgeon, is behind me and it's time to move on....(I should admit I felt the need to go to YouTube.com and witness a cataract surgery yesterday, just to understand exactly what had gone on while my face was under a sheet. I can't imagine daring to poke into someone's eye to correct a problem. What skill and knowledge!)
Let me introduce to you the very first blossom (above) from my Christmas cactus, which was given to me last year as a slip from my mother's Christmas cactus. My mother could make anything blossom.
I was so glad to get this slip, because I'd neglected to get one from my mother years ago.
And my African violets are enjoying the return of spring, if this particular one is any evidence.
They're coming into bloom again after a short rest. I discovered finally, after years of neglecting African violets but not realizing I was doing so, that the secrets to successful care are...
1. a North window
2. never direct sun
3. watering from the bottom of the pot (This alone immediately resulted in dramatic improvement in my violets' health) I put each pot in a plastic container with some water and..
4. a light dose of African violet food with each and every watering
5. light misting daily, and perhaps most important of all,
6. not overwatering I touch the soil to make sure it feels dry before watering a plant, and I know it's sufficiently watered after sitting in the plastic container (margarine tub, whatever) when I touch the soil again and it feels damp. This can take a few hours on watering day.
Ta-dah! Happy violets.
The Easter chick in the header photo is from here: http://www.skiptomylou.org/
It's a quick and easy project requiring some felt pieces, a sewing machine, and a bit of your time.
I bow too your knitting prowess, and now apparently, to your green thumb too.
ReplyDeleteI'm told I have cataracts in both eyes, but not bad enough to do anything about yet. I'm glad you've had such a good outcome.
I'm happy to hear your sight has greatly improved. It seems so many of my friends and fellow bloggers are having cataract surgery lately. I'm really quite amazed at how many are having it done. So far, mine are not bad enough for surgery.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips on the African violets. I have one that is not blooming. I need to find a better pot for it. Then, I will follow your advice.
HI Jean...As I type this it is with one blurry eye..lol...I had mine done at the Eyecare Medical Group on Seawall St. in Portland by Dr Cassidy yesterday !! Was back there this morning for follow up check !!
ReplyDeleteOne very dense one down and the other to be done at the end of the month ! It was getting so I couldn't see close up or far away ...don't know how you was knitting...I was flustrated just trying to use the computer sewing and paper work has been on the back table for some time !!
Glad you are enjoying your new eye..lol...Have fun with all the drops, drops, drops, ...lol ; }
I didn't get one of those cute little patches you had ...probably because I can be good and not touch it ...hee..hee!!
Thanks for the violet tips...take care of that eye now and not fa-la-la-ing through the fields...dust and pollen out there you know !!! ; }
Grace ♥
verifcation words are great for eye testing!! ; }
You are so creative. I'm also waiting on cataract surgery but don't know how I'll know when it's time to have it done. Perhaps that means the time is not now. I've been told I have them and they are operable now but that I could wait up to three years if I wanted. I've done that and can still thread a needle with sewing thread so I'm confused about when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteMy new violet is coming along nicely. I was pleased to see I'm doing the things you suggested for its care. I'd like to try a Christmas cactus. Perhaps that will be next.
I have some of that sock yarn but haven't used it yet. Your socks look wonderful.
Glad your surgery is over and it went so well.
good news...
ReplyDelete