On Thursday I decided to go into Portland on some errands. Portland is a lovely, small city with beautiful old architecture, and I always love being there, but I find I don't go in much any more. Not to just browse, anyway. A friend and I keep saying we're going to take a day soon and go to Portland to poke around in the shops in the Old Port area. I hope we do just that.
On Thursday I had specific destinations in mind, though, and more shopping to do once I left Portland, so I used my time wisely. My first stop was D Cole Jewelers, in the Old Port. It's a great jewelry shop full of beautiful items, much of it handmade by D Cole. I was in search of some Pandora beads for birthday gifts, and I promptly found what I wanted. Actually what I really wanted was to linger in the shop for hours and select dozens of beautiful items for myself, but that was not to be.
After I left D Cole, I drove up to Congress Street and headed toward the east end of the city. KnitWit Yarn Shop (http://www.yelp.com/biz/knitwit-yarn-shop-portland) was my destination. I'd heard of this yarn shop awhile ago and had been wanting to check it out. Mainly I wanted to check out their Quince & Co. yarn, (http://quinceandco.com/) which is a Maine yarn spun in nearby Biddeford. KnitWit is a nice little shop brimming with natural fibers, my favorite. I ended up purchasing a rather elegant sock yarn, which I absolutely did not need. Then I headed out to the Maine Mall area for yet more errands.
I stopped first, though, to snap a photo of these beautiful cherry(?) blossoms at Eastern Cemetery.
Then last evening it was back to Portland, this time with our friends, for dinner at DiMillo's. Since DiMillo's is a boat (ferry, rather), converted into a restaurant, the views of Portland Harbor are always interesting. Here we have some of the more modest boats anchored at the marina. On the other side of the restaurant many very luxurious yachts were moored. Hmm. That lifestyle must be glamorous!
I finished the "Easy but Looks Difficult" scarf (http://luisafelice.blogspot.com/2012/01/easy-but-difficult-looking-scarf.html) on Friday. It's a basic feather and fan pattern, and it's free. I used a Cascade Heritage sock yarn (merino wool and nylon) in a deep teal. It looks royal blue in this photo, but it's a deep teal, trust me. The pattern is a four-row repeat with only the third row being slightly, but not very, challenging. The scarf is 60" long, so that was the challenging part.
And the basil! Yes, the basil! It lives! Not only does it live, it's starting to thrive. I transferred a few of the seedlings into 4 1/2" pots last week, to see how they'd do, and they're doing darned well. I now have about 25 pots a-thriving and will prepare more once I find out the total number who've registered to attend the spring convention on April 28.
To be honest, though, I'll be glad to get the basil out of my house. It's taking up precious space, for one. For another, we had a long spell of little sunshine and chilly temps, and that caused me much worry as to what this basil will look like when sitting in party favor gift bags at the big luncheon. I'm beginning to gain a little confidence in it this weekend due to the lovely sunshine and warm temperatures. It's supposed to climb into the 80's tomorrow.
That's the news from here. Wait! One more thing. I know it's aggravating to have to type in squirrly-looking letters before posting a comment on my comment page. I'd like to remove this requirement, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. I've combed the inner workings of this blog relentlessly but come up with nothing. If someone can tell me, clearly, how to remove the identifying letters, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, suddenly I can't shrink the size of the header photo. The option to shrink it showed up briefly, then disappeared. I think I have gremlins toying with my blog.





I love the scarf. I'd like to try and make one, but seeing you describe every third row as a little difficult frightens me. I imagine a little challenging to you would be boggling for me. I'll give it some thought.
ReplyDeleteYour header photo is beautiful, but I understand wanting to make it smaller because I want to do the same thing, but don't know how. Go to blogger.com to find the setting to get rid of the spam protector. I think it is under settings for comments on your blog.
ReplyDeleteYour day in Portland sounded great. Love the scarf. I bet you will be glad to have the basil project behind you.
Try this address about your word verification: http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42578&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-6ktv33s5wz7y
ReplyDeleteI finally got mine off but I don't remember how I did it. It wasn't simple. I think it was purely accidental that I got it off.
I was very amused about Knitted Wit. I thought it was in Portland, OR, not Maine. I have about five 400 yd. skeins of the 100% Rambouillet from her. I think her name is Rachael Herron. She dyed a series of colors of this yarn and named them after the characters in the Cyprus Hollow series of knitting novels.
I also made a feather and fan scarf like the one you've just finished. I said never again will I do a scarf that you go back and forth across. The rows are too short. Of course I'll eventually forget and do it again. That is about the only lace pattern I do.
I believe you're going to be successful with your basil. I wasn't sure about that project.
We have lots of cherry blossoms now and I just love them
Oops, you were talking about the Knit Wit Yarn shop and I was thinking of Knitted Wit here in Portland, OR.
ReplyDeletewhat I heard from you have to go to the old format?? your trip to portland sounds fun!
ReplyDeleteHi Jean, the scarf looks gorgeous! I used to do crochet when I was in high school and later made a table cloth (round) the whole summer.
ReplyDeleteNice to know too that you enjoyed your visit to Portland and able to take snapshots for us to enjoy :) Would you want to link exchange?
God bless and take care!
Jean, would you please send me your email address again. I don't think I was ever successful in getting one to go through last time we tried this but I want to try again. I want to talk to you about a yarn that's new to me and some other knitting that makes it too long for a comment.
ReplyDeletehillinlinda@gmail.com
Also, here's the Google Forum address that might be helpful in removing word verification.
http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!forum/blogger
Maybe, just maybe, I've succeeded in removing the word verification element from comments????
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice set of adventures you had. I enjoyed your post. And your basil looks quite healthy!
ReplyDelete