Two days ago I finished February Lady Sweater #12. I know, I know, that's a bit of knitting overkill, but really, it's no worse than my friend who knits about 35 pairs of socks per year. At least these twelve sweaters were knit over the course of two or three years. So there.And look what I stumbled across on the web just yesterday.
Cute, or what? I'll give that pattern a try soon.
The February Lady Sweater was designed AFTER Elizabeth Zimmermann designed the February Baby Sweater. I haven't knit the baby sweater yet but will also give that a try one of these days. Just this morning I found a great list of suggested modifications to the FLS at this site. I'll be eager to incorporate some of these modifications into future FLSes.
As I detox from all of the February Lady Sweater knitting, I've started a pair of men's socks. These are knit with a fine yarn on size 2 needles, so they're a slow go. I love the yarn, though, which is 85% washable wool and 15% nylon, and the leg of the first sock is almost long enough before starting the heel, so I'm cranking right along.What I should be doing, though, is more spring cleaning and some raking in the flower beds. Yesterday I reluctantly took my rake to one flower garden, started raking, and immediately noticed the wind was gaining momentum. The wind and I battled it out for about an hour before I, with a fresh thumb blister, called a truce and returned to the house...to knit.


The spring cleaning. Well, it's on hold for now, but I'll get back to it one of these days. When I was working, I set a tight schedule for myself to get the spring cleaning done between the two school vacations in February and April, and I stuck to that schedule. I was much better self-disciplined in those days. Of course, back then I wasn't a knitter, so that might have had something to do with the self-discipline.
And really, what's retirement for, if not for doing what you want, when you want? That's my philosophy, anyway.


A couple of days ago, while misting my plants, I noticed a bud on my calla lily. This is cause for rejoicing. My calla lily blossoms about once every five years, whether she needs to or not. I'd had a feeling earlier this year that she just might bloom this spring. I don't know what made me think that, except that her leaves looked happier than usual. Lo and behold, she'd been hiding a secret.
beautiful plant and you have a bud! rejoice. love the sweaters-it is very relaxing to knit-i did it years ago now i just blog and write.
ReplyDeleteI just love cala lilies. My daughter wanted them for her wedding but the flower lady said she was too short for them. Oh brother. I think they're so elegant. Your sweaters look gorgeous. I envy your talent.
ReplyDeleteThe sweaters are GORGEOUS! Cala lilies are absolutely beautiful, enjoy it, can't wait to see more pictures of it!
ReplyDeleteYes indeed the sweaters are beautiful!! I think the socks are going to be very nice, lovely or should I say, handsome color. And the calla lilly is certainly a sly one now isn't she? Can't wait to see further progress. I managed to get some raking in yesterday. Buddy was no help, just lay in the sun supervising....
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to read your blog today. So you're going to be a new mother of a calla lily. They're my favorite flower but are outrageously expensive at the florist.
ReplyDeleteReally got into the knitting part of your post. I've got to check this sweater out that you're addicted to. I thought the doll sweater was way too cute. What fun.
I just ran across a blog post a little bit ago that made me think of you. http://cranethie.blogspot.com/2010/03/summer-knitting.html
Lillies and sweaters....how lovely they are.
ReplyDeleteHello Jean
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by and for you comments - I'm not sure about the name of that lace pattern - after a while they all look the same to me lol
I would love to try that EZ childs pattern but unfortunately the cost of buying the book is really quite expensive - I've seen others on the web in a similar vein so may give one of them a go sometime.
Not making you jealous but I have Calla Lillies growing in the ground down the back of my garden - near the Ox Tongue ones that have just come into bloom - I love autumn bulbs that pop up just as you think thats going to be the end of the growing season
Take care
Cathy
That's very creative of you!
ReplyDeleteWednesday Wallpaper - Abandoned House in Greenery