Sunday, February 7, 2010

Some tips

I have nothing of importance to write about, but since that hasn't stopped me in the past, I won't let it stop me today, either.

I try to watch the Dr. Oz show as often as possible. It gives me an excuse to sit and knit for an hour while I learn all kinds of helpful tips about one's health.

Here are some of the tips I've learned:

For an ear infection: put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into the ear OR put a garlic clove in the ear. I kid you not. The hydrogen peroxide doesn't surprise me, but the garlic clove does. Apparently garlic has the ability to kill bacteria. After inserting the clove, put a band-aid over the ear opening to keep the clove in place.

For a sore throat: Ditto with the garlic clove, except microwave a few cloves, mash them onto a cracker, and eat the cracker. Voila!

To remove a wart: Cut a small square of duct tape and place it on the wart. Leave it there several days. Since a wart is a virus and needs oxygen to survive, the duct tape with cut off the oxygen and kill the darned thing.

To get rid of hiccups: Stand on one foot and pinch your nose closed. Or, take a deep breath and hold it. I've been using method #2 for years. Sometimes it takes more than one deep breath to finally end the hiccups, but the key is to relax the diaphragm, which is having spasms and causing the hiccups.

To give your face a boost (giving you a glow and erasing some wrinkles) : Mix together 1/4 mashed banana, 1 t. honey and 1/4 c. yogurt. Spread on the face and leave for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water and pat dry.

To remove a splinter: Smear some white glue (Elmer's, for instance) over the area where the splinter is lodged. Allow glue to dry thoroughly, then peel it off. Just like magic, the splinter will be removed with the dried glue.



5 comments:

  1. Some of those tips make good sense and are worth trying. Removing a splinter and a wart make good sense to me. I think I'll let you stick the garlic clove in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that sounds like some show and great tips...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...garlic in the ear...the kids pediatrician told me years ago to put scotch tape over a wart and by gorry it did work! I like the splinter removal tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read your post...smeared some glue on my sore finger, and VOILA! pulled our the piece of string or whatever irritant was lodged there. Thanks for sharing. I don't know if I'm up to slathering mashed bananas and sticky honey on my face just yet, but maybe I'll breathe deeply and take the plunge in a day or two.

    I read your post about shopping sans the hubby. It was a giggle, snicker, snort moment for me! I found myself in total agreement with you! My husband's ready to leave before I even step in the door of TJMaxx. Fortunately, he dislikes shopping with me as much as I dislike him tagging along. I'm a firm believer in browsing and puttering...he's a dash in and dash out kinda guy...with the possible exception of a hardware store, and on occasion a sporting goods store. He will NOT go with me if he thinks I'm going to a bookstore or a card shop. You practically have to bomb blast me out of Barnes and Noble.

    Glad you enjoyed your day. A good bargain does kind of make a cloudy or soggy day a bit brighter, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd known the garlic clove hint back when Griff was having such ear infections! I actually just read another blog the other day where a mom put a garlic clove in her son's ear and put tape over it for the night, and his ear that was red and irritated (per the pediatrician) the day before, was clear the next day. The other ear, which had also been red and irritated, was infected! I love home remedies like this.

    ReplyDelete