Sunday, February 14, 2010

Back by popular demand (i.e., I've had one request)

Recently I mentioned this taco soup to my niece Cheryl, and she commented that it would make a good recipe to share on my blog. I did a little research into the "archives" and discovered I did include this recipe the week I did my (as it turned out) "pre-memorial service" to my 35-year-old crock pot. In case you missed the recipe then, here it is again. It's what we're having for supper tonight, and I can hardly wait.

As I was throwing the ingredients into the crock pot this morning, I discovered I have no black beans, so I used chick peas instead. Hope they'll make a good substitute, although I'd have preferred the black beans. (That's my brand-spanking-new crock pot in the photo. I love it. I can't be without a crock pot for long.)

Taco Soup

1 lg. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can kidney beans, undrained
1 15 oz. can black beans, undrained
1 can corn, undrained
1 lb. hamburg, browned
1 onion, diced and sautéed
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope taco seasoning

Put all ingredients into crock pot on high for about six hours.

Serve with Mexican cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

(I have to admit that when my friend gave me this soup recipe last year, it didn't sound appealing. I love tacos, but taco soup? I decided to give it a try, and Ken and I both love it.)

9 comments:

  1. thanks been wanting a recipe for taco soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what's for dinner tomorrow night? Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it too. I like Monterey Jack cheese sprinkled on top along with diced avocado. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, the Monterey Jack cheese and avocado sound like great additions. I like any excuse to eat an avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just put this soup together for our dinner tonight. Looks and smells wonderful. Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big family dinner tonight starring the Taco Soup! Special guests include Ashton and Eric as well, nice to see four places set at the table for a change. Gosh I have wanted to ladle out a bowl for the last hour or so....but will wait til dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, Don't forget the dollop of sour cream and the crushed tortillas on top of each bowl of soup. They're the crowning touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I didn't forget anything! Definitely will make this over and over again. I highly suggest it to everyone! Ashton loved it and thats a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank so much Jean. This is a "keeper". Love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete