When I'm in the mood for some serious casual-browsing shopping, I've learned NOT to announce my intent until seconds before I head out the door, handbag on my arm, car keys in hand. If I announce it too early, I find myself driving with a male passenger firmly ensconced in the passenger seat beside me or, perhaps, even driving.
Ken doesn't mean to stifle my shopping pleasure, but he does so nonetheless. The minute we walk into, say, TJ Maxx, together, he's ready to leave. He hangs over my shoulder, which drives me nuts, or finds a chair by the door, which tells me none-too subtly that he's ready to head out it.
He never discourages me from buying what I want, so it's not as if he puts a damper on my spending. He's the spender in the family anyway, truth be told. It's just that I know his idea of shopping is to dash into a store, find the item he came for, pay for it, and leave. My idea is to look around for bargains.
Yesterday I gave myself a day alone shopping in North Conway, NH. It was a glorious experience. I probably spent 1 1/2 hours in TJ Maxx, for starters, and found some great deals. I seldom take the time to sort through TJ's racks of clothing, but yesterday I did. I found a Talbot's sweater, regularly $60, for $7.00. I got a girl's size 12 winter coat to donate to Coats for Kids, for $10, and I did some (don't hate me) early Christmas shopping.
As if that wasn't exhilarating enough, I then went to the Talbot's Outlet. Whoa! Was I dreaming? A pair of no-wale corduroy jeans, regularly $54, then marked down to $39, then to $29, hung in the "Take an extra 75% off lowest ticket price" rack. I paid a cool $7.50 for them. I was almost giddy.
The only disappointing stop was at the LL Bean Outlet. I used to find many bargains there, but since they opened their new store in No. Conway, I can't seem to find much that either Ken or I need. Maybe I'm not "at home" in the store yet and haven't given it a fair chance. The outlet store in Freeport, ME seems to be much better stocked.
Anyway, yesterday's trip to North Conway gave me just the mid-winter boost that I needed. I'm a new woman today. I'm ready to tackle the cleaning and cooking with a fresh attitude. Shopping without my husband was good for my soul.
I thoroughly agree. Perhaps you need to tell your hubby it's your therapy and it's less costly than a real therapist but more effective. I love to shop alone-time is yours-FREEDOM!
ReplyDeleteYou said it so well, I can ideentify with every word.
ReplyDeleteMine does the grocery shopping and I don't go because I make him nervous, and seriously mess up his routine. I do the rest of the shopping and he is not welcome.
Wow, what an amazing day of bargains! I am impressed! I just got home from a day of browsing, some shopping and lunch out with Mark. He too will gladly accompany me anywhere and usually does as its easier for me to have a "driver". He too heads for the nearest seat or finds a spot to wait patiently for me. I must say though that he does make a great place to "hold" items while I am browsing merrily away! I do like the occasional "all by myself" browsing/shopping trips though!
ReplyDeleteP.S. The header photo is lovely! Nothing like a fresh coat of new snow to brighten up this time of year.
ReplyDeleteCheryl, The trouble is, that fresh coat of new snow was there BEFORE the heavy rain. I'm sure it's long gone now.
ReplyDeleteLin, I like your "therapy" approach. I'll have to try that the next time he invites himself along.
Linda, Mine goes into a grocery store about once a year. He'd be overwhelmed at the thought of doing a week's worth of grocery shopping!
I most definitely prefer to shop alone. Steve's idea of shopping is to know exactly what you are shopping for, and enter the store, sprint to said item, and then get out of the store as fast as possible. If we go into a store, each needing different items, he finds his in record time, and then follows me around like a puppy, asking over and over, "are you done yet?" Yes, I much prefer to go by myself!!
ReplyDeleteI think it is true of most males. They are hunters (go after something and get it), while women are gatherers (what useful things can I find).
ReplyDeleteHowever, if I need to buy something expensive, is it better if hubby is along. Spending money in bigger chunks is easier for him than for me.
Opps, I got a bit backwards. "...it is better..."
ReplyDeleteThe only way to enjoy shopping is to have no strings attached whether it be a spouse, kid, etc.
ReplyDeleteI love to go to Marshalls and look for bargains and unique things. Sounds like you had a great time!!