Get it? Clogs...step?? Just an attempt at a pun, folks.
So when I'd finished knitting and felting my clogs, I was not done, done. Not by a long shot. We have hardwood floors in much of the house, and knitted/felted clogs on hardwood floors would make for some fancy but unintentional ice skating maneuvers. I don't fancy doing a triple lutz or a salchow jump when I least expect it, regardless of my enjoyment of figure skating as a spectator.
(By the way, if you're a knitter and have not yet signed up to join Ravelry.com, you really must. What a great treasure this site is.)
So I went to Ravelry, typed "felted clogs" and then selected "projects" in the search bar, and spent awhile looking at the beautiful felted clogs others have made. I was especially curious to see what they said about putting a non-skid sole on the clogs. I know you can buy actual leather (I think) soles to attach, but I was curious to see if something else might work.
One clog maker was pleased with the result of attaching some of that rubbery shelf-liner stuff to the soles.
Another mentioned using a clear bathroom caulk. Intriguing thought.
Yet another said she simply put "bubble paint" on the soles. So I decided to try this first. I bought a little bottle of Scribbles 3D paint and applied it to each sole. I then let the paint dry for several days. We'll see. I haven't given the clogs a test-drive yet, but here's hoping the 3D paint stays attached and I don't do any unexpected acrobatics.
Next item: Snowflakes.
A while back Kay in Hawaii happened to mention that snowflakes have six sides. Coulda fooled me, and here I've lived in Maine all my life and she lives in Hawaii.
I immediately googled "snowflake" and discovered Kay was right. (But although she lives in Hawaii, she and her husband and children lived in the Chicago area for many years, so she is well acquainted with snow.)
Anyhoo, I tucked that little tidbit into my memory and all but forgot about it...until I was watching Millionaire one day last week. The contestant, a Princeton grad student, was asked, "Snowflakes are traditionally which one of the following: pentagons, hexagons, octagons, or decagons."
I said to myself, rather smugly I admit, "Well, obviously they're hexagons."
The contestant didn't know the answer. He chose "Ask the expert."
The expert didn't know the answer.
The contestant then chose to eliminate two of the possible answers.
He was left with hexagon and decagon.
He still didn't know the answer.
Rather than risk the $16, 000 he'd already won, he decided to walk away.
So I now realize I'm in a very select group, apparently, of folks who know that snowflakes are six-sided. Had Kay been the contestant, she'd have boosted her winnings up to $25,000.
Final item: I'm ready for a new snowstorm.
(I took the header photo one morning last week when I noticed how pretty the icicles looked as they hung from the porch roof. They've long since melted.)
How excellent that you thought of putting something anti-skid under your gorgeous clogs. I'd be the first one to fall on our smooth floors and I'm well aware I'd be breaking another bone.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun to read about the 6 sided snowflake! Thank you kindly for the mention. You know, Jean. I wouldn't have gotten to the hexagon question because I probably wouldn't have known the answers to the previous questions. Tsk! LOL
However, I am very much complimented by your faith in me.
Your clogs are so professional and now safe too. Great project...
ReplyDeleteHope the 3D paint works for you! Though seeing you do a triple solcow is intriquing!!
ReplyDeleteI would have thought most people would know about snowflakes. I have certainly taught many youngsters how to best fold and cut them for decoration--always with 6 sides.
ReplyDeleteLet us know how the anti-slip methods work. It's funny to think about but if a couple of young boys had those, and a hard wood floor, they'd have a ball. Me? I'd definitely be looking for traction.
Love the new header photo, very cheery! Wow, those are major icicles. The clogs look great and am anxious to hear if you have done a split or two...
ReplyDelete