Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Seafood Stew, anyone?

When I was much younger, like in my 20's and 30's,  I thought a New Year's Eve couldn't happen unless I was out there celebrating along with everyone else. I had to go to a New Year's Eve party, for heaven's sake, and of course I HAD to stay at the party until after midnight. If we weren't invited to a party, I was devastated.

Now I wonder where I ever got the energy for such shenanigans.

My idea of a perfect New Year's Eve now is to be tucked in comfortably at my own home and to be in bed by 9:00, 10:00 at the latest. I can watch a video of the ball dropping on Times Square on t.v. the next morning.

So, in the spirit of my new attitude towards New Year's Eve, I've made a seafood stew: fresh lobsters, scallops, shrimp, and haddock. (This is Maine, people. Fresh seafood isn't all that expensive for us.) I forgot the fresh crabmeat, but I can add that later if I decide we need it. This is a once-a-year indulgence for us. We'll have it tomorrow evening with our good friends, Jim and Lynn. We'll eat early, they'll head home to bed, and I'll probably be in bed before they're out of our driveway.

This is what the passage of time does to us.

(The thought of 2009 is a bit daunting, isn't it? I can't decide whether to be darned glad 2008 is almost over or to dread what 2009 might bring. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased at what 2009 brings. I hope so. According to this site, 21 days and 2 hours will be a major step in the right direction.)

Maine Seafood Stew
1/2 lb. butter
4 oz. fresh Maine shrimp
5 oz. fresh haddock or cod fillets
5 oz. fresh scallops
6 oz. fresh crabmeat
2 cups clam broth (I skip this.)
8 cups cream (or use some milk)

Melt butter in a deep pan. Add shrimp, haddock, and scallops; sauté them gently until they are cooked. Mix in the crabmeat.

Add clam broth and cream and simmer gently until stew is piping hot. 

Serves 8.

6 comments:

  1. sounds yummy I love clam chowder...so is the new year going to be wonderful or a calamity depends on your view point-is the class half full or half empty. I'm sure it will be challenging and filled with all kinds of experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-your stew looks so, so good! We are having company and doing something different-ham. Both couples have stressed the time limit of just a couple of hours of cards and then off to their home and us off to bed! Where did all my party-animal days go?? Happy New Year to you and Uncle Ken, and of course to Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had seafood the last couple years. This year it's lobster. My cousin's been lobstering for years & is coming for the day & bring a live dinner. He says prices are so low he's resorted to selling large lots to institutions like the schools & Community College & Vo-techs at a huge discount just to keep cash flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! I remember those fool hardy days well. I can't tell you how happy I am that they're solidly planted in my past.

    Wayne and I stay up late almost every night...so New Years Eve is no exception. But it's okay with us if our eyelids drop before the ball in Times Square.

    I don't have any nostalgic feelings about 2008 that would cause me to grieve at it's passing... but, I'm curious to see what 2009 will bring. It'll be fun!

    Your stew looks fantastic! I love shellfish, but I've never eaten a scallop. I have no clue why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMM! I LOVE seafood and this sounds and looks fabulous! I just had dinner and I'm feeling hungry just looking at your photo. I just must get myself over to Maine. sigh... Seafood is expensive here even though we're in the middle of an ocean.

    I love your kind of New Years!

    ReplyDelete