

I've finally made a tiramisu. This has been one of my goals for years; finally I've done it. This will be tomorrow's Christmas dinner dessert.
I considered several tiramisu recipes before finally settling on the one I used this morning. At first I was convinced I couldn't go wrong with the Pioneer Woman's recipe. Then I noticed she said to use Marsala wine, and that didn't appeal to me. Granted, she said brandy could be substituted for the wine, but still, I couldn't get the image of the Marsala wine out of my head.
Then I found a tiramisu recipe in a local cookbook. It sounded perfect. But then I noticed there's no mention of cooking the egg yolks. Yuck. I couldn't bear the thought of uncooked egg-yolks in the dessert.
Finally I checked out Old Faithful: Allrecipes.com. I scrolled through all of the tiramisu recipes there, read reviews, and settled on this one. As I read its reviews, I noticed a recommendation for making a mascarpone substitute. That sounded simple enough, and when the recipe also mentioned that the substitute is much less expensive than actual mascarpone, I knew I'd make it. I've never bought mascarpone, but I'm all for saving money when possible.
Then, in the same reviews, I saw mention of a recipe for making one's own ladyfingers. Mine wouldn't win a beauty contest, as you can see from the photo, but I suspect they taste just fine. (Actually, I know they taste just fine because Ken and I scoffed down the leftover ones, and neither of us complained.)
In the midst of putting together the tiramisu, though, I realized I'd forgotten to buy heavy whipping cream when I did my grocery shopping yesterday. Ken to the rescue; he made a dash to the supermarket and came back not only with the whipping cream, but also with a half dozen fresh roses, so that worked out well for me.
I used strong coffee and rum to brush the ladyfingers before piling on the filling. That combination appealed to me. The finished product now sits in the fridge. I hope it'll be a hit tomorrow.
wow does that look good...this will be my first sugarless christmas...I brought a stash of sugarfree cookies and my thoughtful son is buying some sugarless ice cream for me. so i'll survive.
ReplyDeleteWow-if that dessert doesn't look fantastic...And what a thoughtful husband, he saves the day AND brings flowers! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing, Jean! I love tiramisu but would never attempt to make it. It looks so complicated. I tried two different cookie recipes this year that were supposed to be fabulous. Sigh... I must have goofed with something or screwed up an ingredient because it was so-so....
ReplyDeleteHave a very wonderful Christmas! I count my blessings that you are part of my blogging family.
That is one of my favorite desserts!! I've always wanted to try making one too. How'd it turn out - looks scrumptious! MERRY CHRISTMAS AUNT JEAN AND UNCLE KEN!!!
ReplyDeleteI think it turned out fine, Margaret. Not really all that difficult to make, either.
ReplyDeleteOoohhhh... just the cookies look almost decadent. I'd like to try making some tiramisu. We're usually at my daughter's home for several days before and after Christmas. Her home is huge... her kitchen has a massive work center. But for some reason, she doesn't have much in the way of spices, and her kids are always sticking their fingers in whatever you're making, trying to "help".
ReplyDeleteI find it's not the best place for experimentation. We stick to the old tried and trues for the most part while cooking in her home.
I am curious though... so maybe I'll try it, and some "sugar plums". Why not? I have the time, the cash for ingredients, the inclination, and a hubby who'll eat the results of my efforts whether they turn out or not.
Usually, the Pioneer Woman has terrific recipes... and easy to follow.
Ooohhhh... just the cookies look almost decadent. I'd like to try making some tiramisu. We're usually at my daughter's home for several days before and after Christmas. Her home is huge... her kitchen has a massive work center. But for some reason, she doesn't have much in the way of spices, and her kids are always sticking their fingers in whatever you're making, trying to "help".
ReplyDeleteI find it's not the best place for experimentation. We stick to the old tried and trues for the most part while cooking in her home.
I am curious though... so maybe I'll try it, and some "sugar plums". Why not? I have the time, the cash for ingredients, the inclination, and a hubby who'll eat the results of my efforts whether they turn out or not.
Usually, the Pioneer Woman has terrific recipes... and easy to follow.