
My first knitting project for 2009 is an Aran sweater for myself. I've actually knit (I just checked Webster: either "knit" or "knitted" is correct; I prefer "knit.") this pattern three times before for three little children, once as a girl's cardigan and twice as pullovers for young brothers. It's a fairly complicated design requiring careful attention, but I love seeing the cables, blackberries, wishbones, and seeds emerge from the yarn.


The pattern is by Yankee Knitter Designs; I like these knitting patterns and have made other Yankee Knitter Designs sweaters, perhaps two or three others.
The yarn is from the Briggs & Little yarn outlet in Harvey, NB. I wish I'd bought more of their great wool yarn while I was there in October. Hindsight is definitely 20/20.
The project got off to a shaky start: I knit 20 rows of the "twisted rib" bottom edge before I realized I was supposed to knit only 16 rows. I raveled (Either "raveled" or "unraveled" is correct; I prefer "raveled;" It's like "thaw" and "unthaw" and "flammable" and "inflammable," I guess.) out four rows and was about to forge ahead when I realized I was using a size 7 needle for the rib, and I was supposed to be using a size 4. Frustration!


But I pulled myself together and started the sweater again.
Once the back is completed, and that won't be any time soon, I'll need to decide whether I'm making myself a cardigan or a pullover. Your thoughts?? One day I think it'll be one, the next day I think it'll be the other.
My Aran sweater project should keep me out of trouble for the month of January. After that, I see sock knitting in my future, for awhile, at least.
What a nice shot of a cardinal for your blog heading. I will vote for a pullover. Pretty color.
ReplyDeletenice project, i vote for a cardigan-you can wear it more on chilly afternoons in spring without pulling it over your head.
ReplyDeleteGORGEOUS cardinal! I vote for cardigan easy on off for spring and fall, and no static hair!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen Cheryl said "pullover," I thought, "Yes!" Then when Lin and Margaret said "cardigan," I thought "Yes!" So I'm right back where I started, but I'm still plugging away on the sweater back as I try to make my decision.
ReplyDeleteI'll go with cardigan. I LOVE cable knit cardigan's. They carry my imagination to the green hills of Ireland.
ReplyDeleteBesides... what else would an old lady who suffers from hot flashes want?
This pattern is a solid 42 steps the positive side of gorgeous! It's intricate and still classic.
You have a gift, my friend!
I love the cardigan. I'm so impressed!
ReplyDelete