Yesterday I decided to expand my culinary horizons and make a batch of pesto. The bay leaves growing in pots on our back deck needed a good trimming, so the time had come for pesto-making.First I looked up "pesto" at my favorite recipe site, Allrecipes.com. After checking out several of the recipes and reading reviews, I decided to give this one a try, mainly because I had all the ingredients on hand:
Pesto Sauce
3 c. fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled (I used 6-7 cloves.)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste.
1. In a food processor, blend together basil leaves, nuts, garlic, and cheese. Pour in oil slowly while still mixing. Stir in salt and pepper.
This yielded about 2 cups, maybe a bit more, of rich, green pesto sauce. So now I had to decide what to do with it.Back to Allrecipes I went, where I found a recipe called "Pesto Pasta and Chicken." This sounded delicious.
Ingredients:
1 16-oz. package bow tie pasta
1 t. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into
bite -sized pieces
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (These I left out, opting not to have my Epi-pen on standby, for I'm very allergic to red pepper.)
1/3 c. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
1/2 c. pesto sauce
1. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes (I prefer the Marjorie Standish never-fail method of cooking pasta: Add it to boiling water, stir non-stop as it boils for 2 minutes, remove pot from heat, allow to sit, covered, for 10 minutes, and voila! Your pasta if perfectly cooked. Works for all types of pasta.)
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic until tender, then stir in chicken pieces. Season with red pepper flakes (if you're not allergic to it). Cook until chicken is golden and cooked through. I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper, and that seemed perfect.
3. In a large bowl, combine pasta, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and pesto. Toss to coat evenly.
It was delicious! Both Ken and I loved it.

Sounds delish!
ReplyDeleteWow - - that looks delish. I love fresh pesto. Right now I am on a kick of using it on my Friday pizzas. Recently I made a pizza with a thin layer of sun dried tomato pesto, followed by thin slices of tomato (the first one from my garden!), then a sprinkling of black olives, and some cheese. Yum! A great way to freeze pesto for later use is to put it in an ice cube tray, then pop the frozen pesto cubes out and store in a ziplock freezer bag.
ReplyDeleteExcellent ideas, Heather. Thanks for sharing them. I do intend to freeze some pesto today, so I'll use the ice cube trays/ziploc freezer bags.
ReplyDeleteSounds WONDERFUL, as does Heathers recipe for the pesto pizza!!
ReplyDeleteGosh, Jean! You are an amazing cook. We have a basil bush outside. As soon as I get some energy, I'd like to try this. Thanks for trying to help me with my cooking. I love the photo to go along with the directions. I love the pictures.
ReplyDeleteAuntie J. -
ReplyDeleteFor $1.00 today (yes, One Dollar) I got enough basil at the farmer's market to make 4 1/2 cups of your pesto. It smells sooooo good. I'm so excited to add it to my growing stash in my freezer! I'm so glad you posted this the other day....