I've been on a kick, since getting home from Australia, of reading Australian novels/books. After finishing In a Sunburned Country a second time, then moving on to A Town Like Alice, it was now time to delve into one of my all-time favorites, The Thorn Birds.So last evening I found the novel on my bookshelf, took it to bed with me, and settled in to begin a great read.
Imagine my surprise when a sheet of pale blue paper fell out from behind the fly leaf. I opened it and discovered these two portraits.
I first read The Thorn Birds when it was published, in the late '70's. So this pair of portraits must have been drawn around 1980, when the artist was perhaps seven or eight. The portraits are of my sister ("Mom") and me ("Aunt Jean"). Many pay big bucks to have their portraits done, but ours were done for free. And to think I'd tucked them away in my precious copy of The Thorn Birds for almost thirty years. While our hairstyles have changed and our shoulders, I'm sure, have grown broader, we remain as perky and pensive as we are in these drawings.
Oh my word, I laughed so hard when I clicked on your blog this morning! I think you should frame it, for sure. Perhaps I should draw an updated version? Love you!
ReplyDeleteOh, mercy. I don't think an update version is necessary at all, unless you're into drawing lots o' wrinkles.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the portraits would be cute in a frame, too.
Those definitely need to be framed!! They are priceless!!
ReplyDeleteOh Wow! This is such a treasure. Does this mean it was Heather who drew that original picture? What fun!
ReplyDeleteYes, Heather was the artist. She was always drawing and writing notes as a young 'un.
ReplyDeleteas a completely objective outsider.. may I add that I also think this is something work framing. It's definitely something to be kept and enjoyed more often than once every 30 years.
ReplyDeleteGood stuff!!
I'm at my office. It's a verrrry slow day. (I'm in real estate, need I say more?) My smile just gets bigger and more firmly planted with every post I read.
Thanks a bunch for a cheery lift in a dreary day...