Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ken's Workshop...and His Roadster

When we decided to move from our old home ten years ago and build a new home not far away, my big regret was that Ken had to leave the garage/workshop that he had built there. He assured me he'd some day have another workshop, but in the meantime he did his tinkering in the basement of the new home. It was dark and dingy down there, but he never complained.

Now he has his new workshop, entirely built by him, and it's a first-class job, I must say. He loves going out there most days to work on his projects, whether it be to repair one of my garden ornaments or build his Model T roadster.

I'm beginning to get a grasp of what a Model T roadster is. Ken has talked about his "roadster" since before we were married, as if it actually existed, but it was no more than antique auto parts stored in various boxes in the basement. Back in my days of teaching, I mentioned to one of my grade nine classes that my husband called his boxes of auto parts an actual auto. A boy in the back of the room immediately spoke up and came to Ken's defense: "The car does exist. It doesn't matter whether it's a bunch of parts in boxes or not, it's still a car." I began to change my own thinking after hearing a 14-year-old's perspective.

This summer the roadster is taking shape. I can't tell you exactly what has been done and what remains to be done, because I lack the knowledge and terminology, but I can tell you that I'm beginning to see a roadster emerge from the various auto parts.

4 comments:

  1. Wow-is that the same "speedster" that was in the basement in the other house?? Mark was VERY impressed by it all during the grand tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. So if a box of auto parts is still a car, then my bag of yarn skeins is an afghan??

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABSOLUTELY your bag of yarn skeins is an afghan! Fair's fair, after all. And my collection of cleaning stuff is...a thorough spring cleaning! I love where this is going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! He's sure good at carpentry. We could use his skills over here.

    ReplyDelete