Saturday, January 30, 2016

Popcorn

I've loved popcorn as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, there was nothing like a batch of popcorn cooked on the stovetop, then doused with my mother's homemade butter.

Thank heavens I was later to marry a man who likes popcorn. Had a discovered he didn't care for it, our marriage surely wouldn't have survived these 45+ years. We've made popcorn on the stovetop, we've made it over an open fire in a cage-like basket, we've made it almost every way imaginable.

A few years ago Ken and I fell into the habit of making popcorn in those microwaveable bags. We loved the popcorn; it was full of flavor and it popped well.

 I began to suspect that all of the additives in the bag were not particularly healthy, though, so I switched us over to the brown-paper-bag-with-a-smidge-of-oil method. Ken perfected this method, but I found it a tad messy. In the mornings I'd have to wipe up from the counter the oiliness from the paper bag. Inevitably there was messy oil in the microwave, too.

I was willing to continue with this method of making popcorn, until I read about the Chef'n Poptop microwave popcorn maker.

I didn't rush out and purchase it, though. I was a bit skeptical that the popcorn made in it was all that good.

But then a week ago, while reading someone's blog, I found that she had received one of these popcorn-maker bowls for Christmas, and she raved about the popcorn it produced.

I ran it past Ken; he was open to the idea of giving it a try. I sat right down and ordered one from Amazon (at less than $20).

We've had it about a week now, and we're hooked. Each batch is a little better than the previous one. The maker does take some getting acquainted with: the amount of popcorn, the amount of oil, the length of time to microwave it and at what power,...all of this takes refining. But now we're enjoying a big bowl of popcorn with much less effort than with any of our previous cooking methods. Last night I even topped the popcorn with some real butter. It wasn't as good as my mother's butter, but it was good just the same.

4 comments:

  1. Gracious lady, I don't know how you come up with all these good ideas. Have texted your post to both my children. Am ordering one for us. Think 13 yr old grandson will like it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like yours equally as much, Linda.( And how are the doll clothes coming along?)

      Delete
  2. Well, that's a new one. We only have popcorn occasionally, so my Boy Scout fund raiser microwave popcorn is lasting us a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love popcorn with real butter-we make it in our air popper then add lots of butter-yum! Will have to make some later today.

    ReplyDelete