Tuesday, June 9, 2015
By all means, make yourself right at home!
Yesterday morning I was doing the several-times-weekly task of dead-heading my hanging petunias on the front porch.
I'd last done the dead-heading on Saturday, and at that time I noticed a few twigs in one of the pots. I wondered where the twigs had come from, then I promptly forgot about them.
So yesterday was dead-heading day again. I'd finished with five of the hanging baskets and moved on to the sixth and final one.
I lifted it down from its hook and got a surprise: A beautifully-constructed bird's nest.
While the owner of this nest was, perhaps, a bit forward in claiming a nesting spot in one of my flower baskets, I can't help but be excited and pleased.
Watering the petunias in the basket will be tricky, but I think it can be done. If all else fails, I'll simply abandon the watering and let the mother and her babies enjoy their home. I know there will be babies, or one, at least, because I went back to the nest less than an hour later and found one newly-laid robin's egg nestled in it.
I hope this story has a happy ending. I say that because, several summers ago, a robin built a nest in my ficus tree, which sits on the front porch all summer but spends the rest of the year in my front hallway.
That mother robin laid three eggs. I watched the nest carefully, eager to see the babies when they arrived. Then I checked one morning and was devastated at the sight of dead baby birds scattered on the porch floor. A predator had gotten to them in the night.
The new robin's nest is much more inaccessible. At least I think it is. I hope it is.
Meanwhile, that first robin's nest, the one in the ficus tree, is still there. It's such a masterpiece of construction that I won't even think of removing it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love nests and don't move them, now our hummingbird nest is into it's second family and empty but other hummingbirds are stealing feathers from the old nest for a new nest somewhere....
ReplyDeleteI have noticed signs of new robins in our yard. I think they nested in one of our big cedar trees. I find bird nests to be wonderful little works of art.
ReplyDeleteThat is certainly a pretty place to build a nest. I hope it will be safe.
ReplyDelete