First, the baby birds. Two friends identified the little critters as phoebes, and I'm sure they're right. Why I couldn't figure this out myself, I don't know.
Later in the day of the last photo I shared of them, Ken came into the house to tell me the babies had left their nest and were now perched on the chicken wire which Ken had put under the deck flooring to (ahem) keep birds from nesting there. (So much for his attempt at that.)
Anyway, the babies stayed on the wire for several hours and into the evening.
I think we know which one was already showing signs of being an independent thinker, don't we?
Early the next morning they were back on the wire or still on the wire, I'm not sure which, then they began their first, tentative flying lessons. Soon they were off. They had literally "left the nest." I'm glad I happened to photograph them while they were in their nest, because I had no idea that would be their last day as our tenants.
Second, my knitting. I'm still at it. Right now I'm working on an adult Aran cardigan. It's my second adult one and sixth one in all. For some reason, it seems to be progressing way too slowly. I do love knitting cables and various other patterns, though, so I'm happily plugging along.
Before starting the Aran, I knit myself a pair of socks from the Crazy Zauberball yarn which I mentioned in April. I loved working with this yarn, and I especially loved the rich colors in the ball I chose. I made no attempt to match the colors sock-to-sock. That would have been a fruitless attempt, I'm sure.
And finally, the kitchen. No photos, because I want to knock your socks off when it's completed. It's coming along nicely, though. The cabinets are in, and yesterday a guy came from Blue Rock to take measurements for the granite counter tops. They will be the finishing touch, and they'll be installed on June 15.
Oh, and the bow window. That will be installed this Thursday or Friday, assuming the window is delivered to us on schedule.
We do have one slight problem with the new hardwood floor: our dog, Molly, is afraid to walk on it! She's never been known to be terribly brave, and although she's a Lab, she's even afraid of the water, for crying out loud. But afraid to walk on the floor??? She seems to think it's ice, and she walks very slowly and close to the wall when we insist she use that route to go outdoors. We're hoping this is just a phase and she'll accept the new floor before long.
That reminds me, Molly and I need to go outdoors to see if our gardens are afloat after all the rain we've gotten in the past few days. The rain started on Saturday and finally quit this morning. There's a lot of flooding in the state, because many areas, including ours, got up to 8" of rain in all. My worry is for farmers who've planted large fields of crops and now might have lost them.



Hi Jean ...nice healthy group of baby's from that no bird zone that Ken made ; }} Cute shot of them!!
ReplyDeleteThem's some colorful socks you got there girl..you won't go unnoticed with them on : }}
The kitchen sounds fabulous hope we get to see it soon and I bet you hope it is soon to ; }...
Your poor Molly ...it is funny how some animals are..hope she gets over it!! :{
Grace
can't wait to see your new kitchen, my office is almost all in place. I have a new plastic floor mat that I love to roll around on with my computer chair...whee...lol!
ReplyDeleteI'm anxious to see you're new kitchen. I'm always amazed at your knitting. I'm into shawl knitting mode. I need to post some pictures.
ReplyDeleteYour knitting looks fabulous! I always wished I'd learned how to do it. I love seeing what you talented people can magically create. Those baby birds are so cute.
ReplyDelete