Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I didn't believe it 'til I saw it with my own eyes

Someone, I don't recall who, mentioned to me a few weeks ago that it's possible to cook a whole chicken in a crock pot without adding any liquid.

That sounded a bit bizarre to me, but then I came upon a recipe last week that called for a whole chicken, a few vegetables, and essentially no liquid.

The recipe did say to add a tablespoon of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice to the chicken, but that was it.

The recipe contributor also mentioned she'd removed almost all of the skin from the chicken, although this was not necessary.
I bought a 4.5 lb. chicken, removed as much skin as possible, stuffed the bird into the crock pot, added the olive oil and lemon juice, added some cut-up carrots, a white potato, and a sweet potato (both cubed), tossed in a cut-up onion, dusted everything with salt and pepper, put the lid on the top, set the heat at "Low," and...went about my day.

The recipe I used called for four hours of cooking on "low," but that seemed a bit skimpy to me, so I extended the cooking time to six hours.

At the end of the six hours I removed the cooked vegetables, then the tenderest chicken I've ever had the pleasure of eating, from the pot. What amazed me beyond the tenderness of the chicken was the fact that the crock pot was almost full of liquid when I opened the lid. And oh! the aroma in my kitchen all day!

The chicken was of the falling-off-the-bone tenderness type.

Um-um, good.

Since trying the above recipe, I've discovered there are many cook-whole-chicken-in-crock-pot recipes on the web, such as this one, or this one, or this one or this one. None of these recipes calls for adding any liquid to the pot, just whatever herbs/spices you want.

The next time I cook a chicken this way, I think I'll not bother to add vegetables.  I want to see what the chicken is like with various seasonings added and nothing else.

Give it a try! It's quick, easy, and delicious.

5 comments:

  1. I'll pass this on to Bob, he's the cook around here. However, I have a friend that cooks chicken like that and then makes soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do more crock pot recipes-it's easy and fast for the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever use my crock pot, since I am home to cook now, but this does sound like a great way to have a good slow cooked meal without being around to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jean! This sounds really wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't have a crock pot. It's in Illinois, but now you're making me want to go out and buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word...this receipe sounds so good, will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete