I've been on an emotional roller coaster since the bluebird couple arrived and began setting up housekeeping in one of the nesting boxes.If I don't see any sign of them for hours, I panic and worry that they've moved on.
If I see them, I'm ecstatic and assured they plan to stay awhile and raise a little family.
At the moment I'm panicked. I haven't seen any activity at the nesting box for 36 hours.
I'm trying to keep a level head. I've put out fresh nectar for the hummingbirds, which should blow into town any minute.I've set out an orange half for the Baltimore orioles, which sometimes arrive here as early as May 3. I've also made fresh cakes of suet, which they absolutely love.
I've made a Frozen Mocha Toffee-cruch terrine, not for the bluebirds but for human consumption. And the humans consumed it mighty quickly. Recipe here.
And I've been knitting to calm my nerves. These slippers are Duffers, a free pattern and a quick knit. I'll definitely make more of these, and next time I'll make the instep just a little higher by adding a couple or three more rows.I've also knit a Tulip baby sweater, size 6 months, for no one in particular but just because I wanted to experience the fun to incorporating various colors into one design. I think of it as a Crayola sweater.
So that's it. Back to my binoculars trained on the bluebirds' nesting box....

Hi Jean...my goodness you are a wreck!!
ReplyDeleteMy Bluebirds, I thought for about the 3 days where gone, and then the House Swallows showed up and of all the 10 houses I have out they where all swarming the one the bluebirds where taken with.
Well I went outside and stood by the house ..yes I did ..lol...I got bombarded by the swallows and out of no where the bluebird where after me to lol!!So they may be around there somewhere!!
The Hummingbird has been here for 2days...and the Oriole just a hour ago landed on the deck and was more than happy to dig into the ""no melt suet cake that I bought a Christmas tree shop last fall"" lol, and the orange fresh as can be he ignored hahaha...sorry I know your stressed, but I can't stop laughing!!
I noticed that the slippers you did where blue..any significance there!!
Sorry long!! Hope your Bluebirds show up...maybe there at my daughters ...I'll ask lol
Do you still have any of those rasins soaked in gin, wasn't it,
they could help...for you not the birds!!
Oh Jean, I have to smile picturing you constantly looking out the window for the bluebirds. Don't they call them "Bluebirds of Happiness?" They're suppposed to make you happy, not stressed. That dessert looks scrumptious!
ReplyDeleteAnd your duffers and other knitting projects are just so exquisite!
ReplyDeleteWonderful knitting projects!
ReplyDeleteBirding is supposed to be a pleasuralbe passtime, but you are being a mother hen to your bluebirds.Hope all is well and you can relax.
Lovely post Jean, loved your beautiful blog. Great work!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend ahead
Marinela
Short Poems
Jean, it must be hard keeping your corner of the world going all by yourself. We women and our need to nurture!
ReplyDeletetime for spring watchng and lots of knitting...enjoy!
ReplyDeleteYou are certainly keeping yourself busy doing many varied and interesting projects and activities.
ReplyDeleteI loved the slippers and the sweater!