Maine's weather forecast for this week:Yesterday: rainy and chilly
Today: rainy and chilly
Tomorrow: rainy and chilly
Wednesday: rainy and chilly
Thursday: rainy and chilly
Friday: rainy and chilly
Saturday: ditto
Let's face it: Maine is having a lousy spring.
But at least this weather is good for the rhubarb, and I've been trying to grow rhubarb in my garden since we moved here eleven years ago.
I used my favorite rhubarb pie recipe, rhubarb-strawberry pie, from Majorie Standish's cookbook.
Marjorie was a Mainer, and boy, did she know how to cook.
I had no strawberries, though, so I used blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
This was the pie Saturday afternoon.
And this was the pie Sunday afternoon.
The pie consoled our rain-weary souls for about twenty-four hours, as you can see.
But then, last evening, a pair of indigo buntings arrived in our front yard!
I know they won't stay for long. They make a brief appearance every spring before moving on to more luxurious accommodations, I guess.
They sure are pretty, though. My goal today is to try to get a photo of both of them at once. So far they haven't been cooperating.




Yummy looking!
ReplyDeleteyour pie looks great, good luck with the birdies!
ReplyDeleteHi Jean...now if you and I lived near to each other...I might get to see your Indigo Bunting and you could have all the rhubarb you wanted..believe me!! My plants have 1 inch wide stocks and leaves the size of elephant ears.. lol
ReplyDeleteNow that was a real fruity pie and looked great!!
The is one time I don't care to talk about the weather : {{{
We have rhubarb ready too. I guess I'll have to find time to do something with it. But I can't eat pie like that anymore. Too many calories and my tummy doesn't like it. I'll have to find someone to make a rhubarb cake for.
ReplyDeleteMay that be the blue bird of happiness for your rainy days. I can relate!
rhubarb pie and indigo buntings: what a rich and beautiful world you live in (even with the rain, or probably because of it).
ReplyDeleteMy very favorite pie, and yours looks delicious!!
ReplyDeleteHi Jean!
ReplyDeleteit's been a while!
I'm jealous of you!
because I used to like rainning but now rainning is not good.
and I have to be careful not to be wet because of radioactivity.
by the way I haven't eaten rhubarb. rhubarb is not familiar here. I heard it's kind of sour but sweet? anyway I wanna eat the pie!
The weather seems to be a mess every where. So far I've missed the experience of rhubarb pie, and don't have it high on my list of things to do.
ReplyDeleteI'll bet your pie was yummy! When I was a kid, I'd eat rubarb raw, with salt, like celery. Wow, that's been a long time. Thanks for helping me remember.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful header photo! Now that is indeed a bright spot in our dreary spring. As for the rhubarb..my mouth was watering over the pie....I would love to have some rhubarb sauce, my former MIL used to make me some every spring as I was the only one who liked it. I love my Marjorie Standish cookbook as well.
ReplyDelete