Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My new very-best friend has a swimming pool!

Actually our friendship isn't new; we've been friends for 37 years.

But I sure do appreciate her swimming pool this week, and the fact that she lives just over a mile away. And the fact that she has invited us over for a swim every day this week.

Maine is sweltering in the heat wave enveloping the entire Northeast.

I close all the windows during the day in an attempt to lock in any air that's cooler than what's outside.

While it IS noticeably cooler inside, the indoor thermometer is reading 81° at the moment, while the outside thermometer says it's 89° in the shade.

But it's not the temperature that's so uncomfortable; it's the humidity. Phew. The air, both inside and outside, seems almost too thick to breathe.

I must remember this heat wave next January.




6 comments:

  1. Excuse my ingnorance one more time but I find it odd to see a swimming pool in Maine. It must be the shortest of seasons.

    It's in the 80s here but we do not have a lot of humidity, plus our apartment is in the shade until about 5 p.m. I have the window open beside me and it looks like we're going to make it through another day without using the a/c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure looks inviting.....nice to have friends like that!!! : }..There must be at least 5 pools on my road....have not had an invitation!! : {

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've finally heated up here in Seattle today, headed for the 90's the next couple of days. It's 87 outside now, with humidity at 47%, so not too bad. But I'm indoors with the windows closed. We had a new furnace, heat pump with AC installed last Nov. Just wondering if it will kick in today. So far the temp downstairs is only 73, where the thermostat is, but up stairs at the computer it's 77.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when we were suffering that kind of heat wave in Chicago many years ago. I think about 600 people died. Have fun with the pool! Use sun screen though.

    ReplyDelete