The thoughtful gesture:In August I gave my good teaching friend's daughter, M, a colorful Baby Surprise Jacket and matching hat when M's daughter was born. I'd hoped throughout M's pregnancy that the baby would be a girl because I'd chosen what I thought was rather feminine-looking yarn for the sweater and hat.
M, who's in her mid-twenties, promptly sent me a lovely thank-you note, saying she loved the sweater set and knew little E would love it, too.
Last weekend I received another note from M. Before opening it, I thought, "Oops. M must've forgotten she's already sent me a thank-you note."
I was wrong. This was, indeed, a second thank-you note, but enclosed was this photo of her baby daughter, E, wearing the outfit. M's note said the outfit fits perfectly and she just had to send me a photo to show me how cute baby E looks in it.
This was such a kind and thoughtful thing for M to do. I mean, she's a young mother, but yet she knew how pleased I'd be to see a photo of the sweater set being worn by her baby. And really, can anyone look at this photo without smiling?
I immediately fired off an e-mail to my teaching buddy, thanking her for raising her daughter to be so thoughtful and appreciative.
Second: A frustration.
I've finally mustered the courage to "open an Etsy shop," as they say. I registered for it on Sunday and spent the last four days convincing myself this was a good move and I just might sell some of my handknits and other little needlework items. I sat down this morning to post the first item (another Baby Surprise Jacket, it so happens), and discovered my photos of it are too large to be uploaded. I've tried everything I can think of to reduce the size of the photos, and nothing has worked. I've been able to get them down to 500 or so kb, or whatever it's called, but I can't seem to get them to the required maximum of just over 400. I'm at the end of my rope.
And last: I guess I spoke too soon when I wrote so glowingly of my beloved crock pot a few weeks ago. On Saturday I prepared a chicken and dumplings dish, placed it in the crock pot, waited a few minutes to feel the outside getting warm, felt nothing, jiggled the cord where it connects to the pot, felt no warmth, jiggled the cord where it connects to the outlet, felt no warmth, waited awhile, tried again, felt no warmth, waited....After an hour of firmly believing the crock pot would heat up any minute now, I admitted defeat, removed the chicken mixture from it, got out another crock pot (which had been waiting in the wings for years, waiting for just such an event), placed the chicken mixture into it, gave my beloved red crock pot one final washing, and set it by the back door. I couldn't bear to take that final step of removing it from the house, though.
Yesterday I heard Ken pick it up and carry it into the garage, for disposal. End of an era. Rest well, my lovely. Thirty-five years of service isn't bad, but I'm gonna miss you.
Time to go look at the photo of Baby E again. That'll calm me down.
What a beautiful baby wearing her beautiful gift. I can understand how nice it must of felt to receive a thank you note with the bonus of including a photo. So sorry to hear about the demise of Old Faithful, the crock pot. It must hold a world's record for the longest lasting crock pot ever! Perhaps you should send the company a photo and testamonial! Bravo on your setting up an Etsy account. I find that whenever I use the Kodak perfect touch on any photo that it shrinks it to a little photo!
ReplyDeleteThat was really a thoughtful gesture to send a great photo of the baby wearing your gift. When you spoke of a death in the title I was nervous. Happy that it was a crockpot...may it rest in peace!
ReplyDeleteif you reduce the size of your photo dimensions, it will reduce the size of the file. hope that helps. what a lovely cute sweater. I'm getting a new grand daughter in dec and I'm giving her a pink sweater set I knitted 45 years ago when I was expecting my first child who was a BOY, then I had 3 more boys. So it has waited many years for a little girl. Sweet smile and thank you photo.
ReplyDeleteCheryl, I think I will write to the Rival company, just for kicks. They might enjoy hearing about the long life of their 1974 crock pot.
ReplyDeleteMare, I suspect only someone who gives handmade items (plus the new mother herself) understand how thrilling it is to see the gift being used.
Lin, Better late than never with that pink sweater set. It's practically a family heirloom!
Aaah. Great idea about writing to Rival. Nothing worse than loosing an old friend.
ReplyDeleteLove the sweater......cannot wait to venture outside the "box" of knitting squares and scarfs. Someday soon, I hope to be knitting mittens for my little ones.
Ahhhh... Music to my ears that somebody has witten a thank you note and even enclosed a photo. What a lovely thing to do. Here's a woman who has been taught the kind and thoughtful way to show appreciation.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your Etsy shot. I wish I could help with your photo. I use Photo Shop to reduce my photos.
It is a beautiful sweater set, and you're right, I couldn't look at that darling child in it without smiling.
ReplyDeleteMy red crock pot went years ago--I like the newer ones I can put in the dishwasher. I'm getting lazy I guess.
I'd love to look at your Etsy wares when you get things squared away to youre liking - I hope you share the link!
ReplyDelete