Saturday, September 12, 2009

High Surf and Shave Ice

The four of us went to Ke'e Beach bright and early this morning, hoping to do more snorkeling. When we got there, though, we immediately spotted a sign saying, "No snorkeling. High Surf. Dangerous Conditions." I guess we should have predicted this situation because the surf pounded especially loudly outside our condo all night.

We put our snorkeling gear back into the Jeep and chose a beach walk instead.

But before we started the walk, we noticed a group gathering. Each person wore a shawl draped over one shoulder. After the group seemed complete, they all walked to the water's edge and appeared to participate in some kind of ceremony. We still have no idea what this was all about, but it was interesting to watch.














Their ceremony completed and the group disbanded, we began our beach stroll. Lo and behold, what to our wondering eyes should appear but a monk seal, resting on the beach.

We kept our distance and watched him for quite awhile. He'd roll over occasionally, rub his fat belly with a fin, and go back to sleep. He was one tired fella, but I suppose he'd been tired out by the thrashing surf during the night.

















Then for today's grand finalé, we decided to try some shave ice. I expected it to be disappointing, since it's only shaved ice drenched with fruit syrup, but it was surprisingly yummy.







Tomorrow's agenda: a boat cruise of the NaPali. I hope the waters are calmer than they were today. The life guard at Ke'e assured me they will be.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like some kind of memorial service. What fun that you got to see a monk seal. I've never seen on in the wild.

    I do LOVE shave ice, too! Glad to see you're having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now we all want to come to hawaii and vacation. so much to see and do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping Kay would have an answer about the women on the beach. I am intrigued by the shave ice, as Kay has mentioned it before as well and the flavors sounded so good. The seal is a cutie, sounds like he was there just for you four! Have a fun boat ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I neglected to mention that I used my telephoto lens to get the close-up of the seal. I don't anyone to think I was brazen and walked right up to him. This is the second monk seal we've seen in just about the same spot on Ke'e Beach. We saw one there in 2000. Maybe it's the same seal! As we were watching yesterday's seal, a lady strolling up the beach must have thought he was a log. She started to walk right up to him, he suddenly rolled over, and she all but jump out of her skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip has enabled to relive some wonderful memories of two visits to Hawaii when I was a much younger person. Loved it then and am loving it now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete