Monday, March 2, 2009

The Rabbit's Out of the Hat

I liked the way Caryn, in her comment about my last post, compared the knitting of this Baby Surprise Jacket to pulling a rabbit out of a hat. She nailed it precisely. So, as you can see, the rabbit is, officially, out of the hat.

With the little bit of leftover yarn I whipped up a matching hat (sans rabbit).

It's snowing here again today, with 8-14" of the lovely stuff forecast. The State of Maine is essentially shut down. If I were still a teacher, I'd be worrying about having to make up yet another no-school day. Now that I'm retired, though, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!

The birds cozy-up to my feeders on storm days. Here we have my faithful male cardinal. I haven't seen his mate in weeks and am getting worried. Usually if he's at the feeder, she's nearby awaiting her turn.


Gold finches and purple finches have been steady customers at the feeder all morning. I need to go out and put a fresh suet cake in the suet cage for them. The thought of wading in the deep snow doesn't have all that much appeal though.

afghans for Afghans has sent out a plea for handknit ladies' woolen socks, so that's my next knitting project. The socks are needed by March 12, so I'd better dig into my yarn stash and get this project under way, post haste. Hope I can get them done by the dealine.

According to rumor, spring is something like 19 days away. I hope Mother Nature has glanced at her calendar recently....




5 comments:

  1. I sure wished I had a baby to put that adorable sweater and hat on. The colors seem so soft. Loved the photos of the birds, especially Mr. Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sweater! You did a gorgeous job!

    8-14 inches of snow??? Wow! That's huge! We watched the weather map on TV tonight and I thought about you guys. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's got to be the cutest baby outfit-love the colors. you are one knitting machine-great activity for snow bounders-hope you've got a stash of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sweater is so cute. Where can I find the pattern so I can see if it is within my ability? I'm feeling like I need to do something constructive. There are so many creative, ambitious bloggers out here, I'm feeling inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic photo for the header...the sky is so pretty in it.

    ReplyDelete