I love knitting this pattern. It's such a clever design by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Her designs take some getting used to, because Zimmermann isn't big on detailed, explicit instructions. But once you get the hang of what she's up to, a BSJ is a pleasure to knit. The design calls for circular needles, which I prefer anyway, and knitting in the round. The best feature, for me, is that the finished product has few seams to be sewed. Another great feature of this pattern is the fact that a lady named Dawn Adcock has written a help sheet to accompany Zimmermann's pattern. I rely on the help sheet more than I do on the pattern.
Can you see in this photo that a baby sweater is emerging? Once it's done there will be only two seams to sew: across the two shoulders.
I'm hoping to have enough of this Plymouth Encore self-striping yarn leftover to make a pair of booties, too, or maybe a little hat.
If you'd like to see more Baby Surprise Jackets, in all kinds of color combinations, go here. Set aside plenty of time to browse, though, for there are 7,094 finished little jackets to ogle.
What a pretty color the baby sweater will be. I still haven't found the circular needles I need for a "Georgia's Afghan"!
ReplyDeleteyou are certainly a creative knitter. looks cute!
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes, Batman!! That's a lot of "surprise jackets" to look at. Where did that name come from? What is the surprise supposed to be, exactly? The baby? If the baby is a boy or girl? If the sweater fits?
ReplyDeleteYou're one productive lady!! Have you kept pictures of most of what you've created through the years? That would make some kind of album, I bet!
P.S. Great photo for the header!
ReplyDeleteCaryn, The "surprise" is that this knitted thing can be folded into a sweater once it's done. Yes, I do have photos of most of my needlework creations. I've loved sewing, crocheting, etc., etc., ever since I was a little girl and learned to make clothes for my dolls.
ReplyDeleteYou made me remember that I once made baby sweater things for twin nieces. They had hoods and were gathered under their feet for warmth. They were pretty cute.
ReplyDeleteGoodness, I must have had an easy pattern--those twins are now in their late 20s with children of their own. I haven't done anything like that since. Maybe you'll inspire me to try again.