

So what would you do if 1) you love lobster, 2) you learn that fresh Maine lobsters are now down to $3.59 per pound, locally?
I thought so. You'd do as I did: you'd buy six lobsters for two people (and wish you'd bought twice as many), bring them home, recruit your spouse to do the dirty deed of dropping them into the boiling water,...and have yourself a gluttonous feast.
But I like to think I did this in order to help support Maine's lobstermen. I mean, with the price of lobster being so low right now, isn't it the duty of every good Maine citizen to buy several lobsters to keep the industry afloat?
I thought so.
The lobstermen here had a a huge event on Saturday with lobsters cooked and uncooked for $5. I believe they sold over 7000 lobsters! We helped by buying several and a lobster stew is on the menu tonight! Thats what being a Mainer is all about, helping each other out. P.S. We cheated and bought the cooked ones :)
ReplyDeleteI love a lobster stew. Maybe my next little gesture to help the lobstermen will become a lobster stew.
ReplyDeleteOh...my..... I don't think I've ever been so jealous in my life!! I'm too far away from a fresh Maine lobster right now!
ReplyDeletemy son cooked a live lobster one year for a holiday dinner but I couldn't eat it after see it wiggling and being boiled to death...good thing I don't have to kill my meat or I'd become a vegetarian!
ReplyDeleteYou are a true patriot!! And a dang lucky one at that.
ReplyDeleteThere you go. I have never made a lobster stew before so dug out my trusty "Cooking Downeast". Love your new photo, very colorful in these bleak days...
ReplyDeleteDropping the live lobsters into the pot of boiling water is, definitely, a painful thing to do. That's why I like to have Ken do it for me. Once, years ago, Ken was out as I prepared the lobsters, so I had to drop them into the water myself. I screamed each time I dropped one in.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! That's incredible! I wish we could be there to have some of that feast! It looks so delicious!
ReplyDelete