My orchids are a source of joy and beauty for me. I first caught the orchid-growing bug about six or eight years ago, I'd guess, when my sister started growing them. Not to be outdone, I had to try growing them, too.The first few years were not that successful. The orchids, in bloom when I bought them, would seldom bloom again. If they did bloom, the blossoms came from the original flower spikes and not from new spikes.
Then I began putting the plants outside for the summer.
Eureka!
Turns out, my orchids love the front porch. They get only a tad of sunshine in the very early morning. The rest of the day they're in the shade. On the porch they enjoy warm days and cool nights: just what the orchid doctor ordered, apparently.
When I bring the plants back into the house each fall, many are sporting new leaves and new flower spikes. I put these on a table in the front entrance, where the spikes grow and develop buds and, eventually, blossom. The blossoms last for several weeks, which is what I love the most about orchids.
The orchids that have no evidence of new spikes I put upstairs in my "orchid nursery," the guest room. There they sit in front of a window, protected from direct sun by a curtain. During the fall, winter, and spring I often find new spikes coming from these plants, so they get promoted to the downstairs entryway.
The photo here is one that I took yesterday. Three orchids are now in bloom, bless their hearts.
you've got a green thumb...i'm lucky to keep my house plants alive-forget to water them and don't talk to them.
ReplyDeleteAunt Jean, they are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Fabulous job!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! They would not survive a day in my house...Seems like the green thumb skipped me...
ReplyDeleteWow! That's amazing! I've had orchids on the mainland and they NEVER bloomed again. NEVER! You have the Gift of the green thumb. Now I'm in Hawaii and my mom tends to her orchids like babies, too and they do bloom....sigh.
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in Hawaii, on Kauai I think, and saw orchids in the department store for something like $9.99 each, I practically burst into tears, Kay. I wanted to bring them home to Maine so badly.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words Jean! I would like to put your comment on my sidebar so it is seeable! I love your blog...it reminds me of Long Island even though you are in Maine with all those lobsters.
ReplyDeleteMy aunt, like you... was able to nourish her orchids so that they grew and propigated happily on her porch! They were such a lovely sight when you entered her home.
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd give it a try. hahaha
What a disaster. I couldn't stand the guilt associated with destroying such beauty. It was a very short lived venture.
Congrats on your gift for growing them and the beautiful specimins your talent has produced. I envy you.