Sunday, November 16, 2008

De-Cluttering

(The English cupboard before and after)

Did you see Oprah last week when she had the de-cluttering guy, Peter Walsh, as a guest? He and his decluttering team are going across the country in their little VW convoy to help us Americans clean up our messes. I suspect they won't be stopping here, much as I could use their help, but he claims that just 10 minutes per day will bring amazing results on one's own.

So I've taken him up on that claim.

Now, I'm not an appallingly messy housekeeper. The floors aren't littered with clothes; there aren't opened cans of decaying pet food on the counters; the bathrooms get cleaned once a week (more or less), I vacuum and wash the floors regularly, I do the laundry two or three times a week, etc. But  I certainly have areas needing improvement. Behind closed doors, for instance, havoc reigns. 

So I've spent the past few days attacking one cluttered site after another. The living room end tables are now organized and free of stuff that had been stored in them for years. (I finally found the Princess Diana cancelled postage stamps that I was searching for a year ago, and I also found a treasured photo from my college years.) My roll-top desk is now extremely clean and uncluttered. The quilt cupboard, which is more of a craft cupboard than anything else, was yesterday's chore, and although it probably doesn't look much better to you who don't know it intimately, it's MUCH cleaner and clutter-free to me, its owner.

Today I tackled the English cupboard in the kitchen.( The before and after shots appear at the top of this post. I wish I could figure out how to upload photos in the order I want them to appear.) If you see little improvement in my quilt cupboard, you'll have to admit you see major improvement in the English cupboard. Gone are candles I'll never use, candle holders I'll never use, cookbooks I haven't used in years. 
This de-cluttering gives me a new sense of freedom. I love having my life less weighted down with stuff. I think it was Ernest Hemingway who owned few actual "things": a few clothes, a wristwatch, that was about it. He felt we become prisoners of our possessions. I think he's right. 


8 comments:

  1. I love Peter Walsh, and I loved the episode of Oprah that you mentioned. I am doing the same thing. I have already tackled my bedroom, my closet, and my medicine cabinet. I feel so liberated! My bedroom was such a mess, and now it is exactly the way I want it to stay. It does feel so great to get rid of things we don't need. I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes with Peter Walsh. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. I always feel so "good" after tackling such projects. It really is liberating! However, I find that an elf or two seem to mess things back up after awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that they stop here, I'm desperate! The downstairs is fine (well, when I'm not working) but the upstairs - YIKES!! When I was layed off last January, I did a lot of decluttering. Its amazing the junk we save!

    Oh and to move pictures around, just click it and drag it where you want it to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!!

    I wholeheartedly agree about clutter...when my house is cluttered, it makes my life feel chaotic. It feels good to control the chaos in whatever way I can! Margaret DID do a ton - literally - of decluttering last January...at my parent's house! What a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has inspired me. Today I cleaned out under the sink (ack!) and feel like I've accomplished something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such fun! I had a good time spending a minute or two looking at your kitchen cupboard to see if I could pin point some of the things that were missing. It was just kind of a kick.

    I need to do that with my clothes closets. I can't figure out why that's so hard for me. I have outfits I haven't worn in two years and outfits I've never worn. I have outfits that look like something that my sister would wear, or my sister-in-law... but, I really don't like them. So, you may wonder why I keep them hanging in an overcrowded closet. I have no reason. I especially can't claim to have a GOOD reason.
    Maybe I'll go in tonight after reading some of my favorite blogs and throw a few things away. By jove! I think I will. You've inspired me! Who needs Peter Walsh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so love organizing and everything neat. I loved seeing your before and after photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I cleaned the small desk containing gift wrap and ribbon. What a thrill to be rid of all of that old wrapping paper that I'd never use. I do know, as Cheryl mentioned, that elves will come along and start cluttering spaces again, darn them, but at least I'm holding them at bay for awhile. I've had some success with clicking and dragging photos, Margaret, but too often I end up accidentally deleting some that I'd intended to have in the blog post. And Caryn, my clothes closet gets a regular sorting-out, but it seems to last only a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete