Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sage

We've known we wanted to get another dog ever since we lost Molly, our beloved chocolate Lab, at age 13, on New Year's Eve this past year.

Actually getting the new dog, though, seemed to be a big step for us.

First we said we should wait until the weather was warmer.

Then we said we should start "looking around," but yet we didn't.



By mid-July I launched a serious conversation with Ken, asking if we were going to do this or not. He said yes, so I got to work.

I felt we should get a rescue dog this time, because rescue dogs need loving homes.

I registered us with both Maine Lab Rescue and New England Lab Rescue.

We went to one "meet and greet" at Maine Lab Rescue, but none of the puppies or adult dogs really caught our eyes.



About five days later, we heard back from New England Lab Rescue, offering us a suggested choice between two Labs, one a yellow Lab about one year old, the other a black Lab, six months old.

We both felt Sage was the one!

The transport van arrived at the Kittery welcoming center this past Saturday evening, and Sage became ours.


I was nervous about her disposition, but she was only too happy to have me ride in the back seat with her during the one-hour drive home. I rubbed her belly, scratched her ears, took numerous photos of her, and listened to her contented snoring as we neared our home.
 Sage went into her kennel (in our bedroom) like a good girl and slept soundly there all night.

She likes to be with her new people as much as possible. If I'm working in the kitchen, she's napping on a scatter rug nearby.

If I'm on the sofa, she's at the other end of the sofa or, much to Ken's frustration, in his recliner.

Sage is already housebroken, which is a blessing! She hasn't been well trained, though, so we're working on that. She has mastered "sit," mastered it in a matter of minutes, in fact. Now we're working on not jumping up on people.

I read that since dogs greet one another by touching noses, dogs try to do the same with humans. Our noses are much higher up, though, so dogs instinctively try to jump up to touch the nose.

Cute explanation, but an aggravating habit, so we must convince Sage there's no future in her jumping up on us or on guests.

One of the best things about having a dog again, beyond the love a dog gives and receives, is that I have a walking partner again. It feels so good to go for a walk while holding a leash in my hands

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful. I've investigated untold numbers of rescue groups but the ones on their websites are pitiful, just pitiful. Glad you found Sage. She's a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on discovering Sage and on giving her a loving home. I think you will enjoy this. I just watched it.https://youtu.be/Rm0qYRWQpZI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two doggie stories in a row. DJan shared a great story about a rescue dog.
    Congratulations to you and your new family member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a big step, much happiness and pleasure with your new companion...

    ReplyDelete