Violet visited us this past weekend (Yes, that's turquoise hair. She's almost ll...), so we decided it was time to do something about the fairy house.
The old fairy house was basically a tree stump with a convenient opening for garden fairies. It had served its purpose in my rock garden for at least six years, and it had fallen into serious disrepair. In other words, it has rotted away.
Violet and I decided to go with terra cotta this time. To the casual observer who knows nothing about garden fairies, the new home might look like flower pots in disarray.
Actually, the fairies' "compound"consists of a main house, a guest cottage, a garage, and an in-ground pool. So there.
This is the smaller of the two benches on our deck. We've had them for at least twelve years, probably longer.
The wooden seats had become warped and rickety over the past couple of years. I was thinking it was time to toss them.
Ken came up with a better idea. He spent a little time in his workshop sawing boards from some trees he cut and had planed a few years ago, and voila! "New" benches.
On the knitting front, I've been knitting hats to donate to various charities. I'm doing this as I continue recuperating from that Potter's Shawl experience, which perhaps you recall.
I used the "Nice and Knit Beanie" pattern, free on Ravelry (or free if you simply google the info in quotation marks above).
The pattern is well written, and it gives me an opportunity to use up various worsted weight yarns.
Finally, if you look at my new header photo, you'll see that my sweet potato vine is thriving. In the pot to the right on the bench is the second vine to come off the same sweet potato. It, too, is doing well.
Now I need to go out to the fairy garden and continue to spread bark mulch. I've procrastinated long enough.
how fun, every fairy village needs updating now and then!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're looking after the fairies. I'm sure they welcome a new look. The new bench and the story behind it is great but get those wet clay pots off before you have water circles on it! You're going to have a jungle of sweet potato vines. A knitting demon is what you are. Gosh you're fast.
ReplyDeleteThink the fairies would be upset if I tried to dip my pinkie toe in their swimming pool? Looks like pixie dust perfection to me. And, gosh...we cross our fingers and throw pennies in a wishing well every year praying for a jungle of sweet potato vines. Sounds marvelous to me. Good to talk to you again. You may not even remember me, but I'm thinking about blogging again. Of course, there is a HUGE leap from thinking to doing.
ReplyDelete