Saturday, August 8, 2015

Gardening and hail

I love going out to the front of the garage each morning to check out the new day's selection of morning glory blossoms. This is today's offering.
I came across this somewhere on the internet a few days ago. I don't remember where I found it, but it might have been Facebook. Anyway, invented spelling rises to a whole new level here. You've got to admit, or at least I do, that I can decipher each word quite well. The Bail Pepr threw me at first, but then I remembered that a Southerner would probably pronounce "bell" as "bail."
My garden has been producing "bail peprs" at a steady rate. I'm also getting "zookeene,"  kale, "maters," and cukes daily now.
This is my second year at trying to grow garlic. This batch is a tad better than last year's, but not by much. My dream is to have ALL the bulbs the same size as that one in the upper left of the photo. I'll prepare a better bed for the garlic cloves when I plant next year's crop at the end of this month.
We had a heavy thunderstorm this past week and, with it, some hail. This is not prize-winning hail, not the golf-ball size nuggets that some Maine towns got, but for that I'm grateful. This puny hail still managed to slice holes in many cucumber leaves and put dings in many green tomatoes, I mean "maters."


The owl hats are multiplying. I've now made an infant-sized, child-sized, and medium adult-sized. I think I'll set the pattern aside now and start a new knitting project. I'm itching to knit a shawl or scarf of some kind.


2 comments:

  1. I was lost with that sign until I realized we were talkin' vegetables. I do love "zookeene"!
    Your pickin' look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you are keeping busy with gardening and knitting!

    ReplyDelete