Wednesday, October 1, 2014

On to Glacier National Park

To be honest, I was not quite sure exactly where Glacier National Park is located, but I'd seen enough photos of it over the years to be determined to visit the park on this trip.

As it turns out, Glacier National Park is located in far northern Montana, sharing a border with the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia.

It was a mere 30° the morning we entered the park. Ken and I wore several layers of shirts and sweaters, yet we saw hikers about to tackle the park in shorts.

We spent most of the day driving "The Road to the Sun," or "Going to the Sun Road."

Although it's only 52 miles in length, it's twisty and turn-y and there are endless turnoffs to capture photos.
I often fuss about the overuse today of the word "awesome." I cringe when I hear it used to describe mundane things,...which is how it IS used almost exclusively nowadays.

But "awesome" is definitely rightfully used to describe Glacier National Park.
We saw a grizzly bear, briefly, just before we exited the park. He was ambling along a hillside, searching for food. By the time I'd gotten myself out of the car and was ready to focus my camera on him, he had disappeared behind some thick bushes. Darn. My one time seeing a real, live grizzly, and I flubbed my chance at taking his picture.
It was an exciting day in the park, nevertheless. I felt rather sad to have to leave it, but it was time to move on.

Next stop: The Badlands.









3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I'm so glad you're getting a chance to go there. I'm wondering if you'll be staying at Apgar. It's my favorite lodge. Have a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there but it was a very long time ago. I love traveling across the country with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photos of a lovely awesome place! watch out for grizzlies...

    ReplyDelete