Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Score!

Ken and I had been waiting for the Montsweag Flea Market to open for this season. Since it opens Mother's Day Weekend, we decided we'd be there, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, on that Saturday.

But it rained that day. We didn't want to  browse in the rain, and we knew vendors wouldn't want to display their goods in the rain. We waited patiently for Sunday, Mother's Day itself. Although I've always said that Saturday's vendors have more interesting items than Sunday's, I was proven wrong this time.

Score #1: Beautiful hand-crocheted table cloth, large-table size, with only a few minor repairs needed. It was badly stained, so because I wasn't sure the stains could be removed, I talked the vendor down to $10 from $15. Once I got it home, I soaked it in OxyClean for an hour and it's now stain free!


I assured the vendor she had just sold the tablecloth to someone who would treasure it, and I wasn't kidding.

Anyone who knows me well knows I love needlework masterpieces. I appreciate the time and talent that goes into making something such as this.

I do a lot of needlework myself, but I've never made anything as grand as this. I have a great deal of respect for the creator of this work of art.
It now graces our dining room table, and I admire it several times a day.

I scored two other treasures at Montsweag that day: a cast-iron Dutch oven and a Watt Ware pitcher, $10 and $8 respectively.

Since I haven't taken photos of them yet, I'll save them for another post.
After leaving Montsweag with our treasures carefully tucked into the trunk of the car, we drove a short distance up the coast to Wiscasset.

We had lunch at Sarah's, a favorite spot when we're in the area.

We also checked out the growing line at Red's Eats across the street from Sarah's. That's Red's in this photo. It's a great place to go for a lobster roll, if you don't mind standing in a long line before being served.



We also drove down a side street in Wiscasset and spotted a mansion we'd never noticed before. I did a little googling of "Wiscasset mansions" when we got home and learned this is Castle Tucker, built in 1807. It's open for tours, so we'll no doubt check it out some time this summer.

So although we didn't visit Montsweag and Wiscasset on Saturday, we certainly found Sunday to be just as enjoyable.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, it's nice to have the time to go to markets like this. It's also nice to have nice weather finally for walking about. Now, to have find treasures like you did is the icing on the cake. I love the table cloth. It is beautiful. I think you will take better care of it than the previous owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun outing and precious table cloth. i gave away some of my grandmothers embroidery for mothers day gifts to my dg-in-laws this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun day, and some great tresures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete