Sunday, March 30, 2014

Crying about it won't do any good

I could hardly wait to get started. The minute I saw the Sirdar 1401 long-sleeved baby cardigan on Knitting Paradise, I knew I had to make it. I promptly visited the Patternfish website, located the pattern, paid for it, downloaded it, and printed it. Now all I needed was the yarn.

On Sunday, as Ken and I were out and about, I casually suggested we might stop at Rosemary's Yarn Shop so I could purchase the necessary yarn.

That evening, with three skeins of Sirdar Snuggly DK yarn in my possession, I sat down to cast on.

I knitted and knitted. From Sunday night until Friday night I knitted. I saw the cardigan rapidly taking shape before my very eyes.

Then I came to a sentence that didn't make sense in the direction sheet. It told me to do something with my needles that would be totally impossible. My first thought was that the directions were wrong. My second thought was to tell the direction sheet to do something totally impossible with my needles. My third thought was that I'd made a mistake in my knitting.

I had, indeed, made a mistake, a huge mistake, way back at the near-beginning of the pattern. The photo above shows you where I am now, and I've been re-knitting like a woman possessed since Saturday morning, which was yesterday.

See the almost-rectangular section in the upper right? That's the only part I did NOT ravel. See the skein of yarn that has obviously been wound by hand? That's how much I still need to knit before I get back to where I was before discovering the ugly truth.

I'm convinced the cardigan will be adorable on little Phoebe, our friend's daughter, so I'm soldiering on.   I'll get it done, one way or another.

And speaking of knitting, here's a heart-warming story for you. It's about an obstetrician here in Maine  who knits for the babies he delivers.






2 comments:

  1. following a vague pattern is not good but you are learning patience...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it it makes you feel any better, you have made me feel less alone in my attempts to follow patterns. If you can make a mistake, I should not be so hard on myself when I do. I guess it happens to the pros at times.

    I love the color.

    ReplyDelete