I thought I was fully into the spirit of Christmas about two weeks ago when I found myself madly Christmas shopping and wrapping gifts.
Then things came to a screeching halt. I have no idea why.
I did force myself to spend about an hour yesterday putting ribbons, bows, and tags on wrapped gifts, but I soon tired of that and promised myself I'd continue the task today.
But I haven't. Yet. And it's 2:30 p.m. already, so I probably won't today.
I haven't even thought about putting up the tree.
And Christmas cards? Haven't addressed a single one, although I do have the cards and stamps on hand.
What I have been doing is knitting doll clothes. When our niece Violet visited a couple of weeks ago, I realized how much she loves clothes for her dolls. That's what she bought, a dress for Haley, when we went to the craft show. Nothing else there, and there were plenty of things there, interested her. It was an outfit for Haley that she badly needed.
Although Haley isn't an official American Girl doll, she is an 18" doll, so that's what matters. I began looking on the internet for knitting patterns for 18" dolls and hit the jackpot.
Elaine Baker's free, easy patterns for 18" dolls are just the ticket, as far as I'm concerned.
I've knitted a blue button-up vest, which was supposed to be a sweater but I ran out of yarn. (This particular pattern is not by Elaine Baker but from Classic Elite Yarns.)
Back to the Baker designs. I've completed a pale beige dress to go under the blue vest and have started a pale green dress to go with the yellow cardigan.
Today I added a little blue flower to the skirt of the beige dress so the outfit would look a bit more "coordinated." One's doll must wear coordinating outfits, for heaven's sake.
And at the same time, my little collection of animals has grown by three but decreased by one. A second Pookie, in raspberry and purple, has joined the group, and two rhinos have also found their way to my house, but one of the baby bunnies, with nappy and blankie, has gone to Virginia to live with a little girl named Phoebe. Phoebe was due December 31 but decided to arrive November 27, much to her parents' and grandparents' surprise.
But what I really need to be doing is decorating the tree, wrapping gifts, and addressing cards. Yikes.
HI Jean...I know what you mean and think it gets worse ever year for some reason...!
ReplyDeleteI haven't got a tree up cards etc either!! I did put lights outside today thinking it was going to be the warmer day ..sure...!!
Well you are at least working on something for Christmas to make a little girls doll be well in style and coordinated "for heavens sake"!
Cute clothes and animal collection!!
I say yikes to !!
Grace
I have approached things exactly in reverse, I think. The tree is up, house decorated, baking done for now, shopping done, packages arriving via mail and delivery service, but nothing wrapped. Cards and letter printed. But just today did I start my sewing. I'm making an outfit for Irene and a matching one for her AG doll Julie.
ReplyDeleteRemember, it is only December 4. Lots of time yet!
Keep working on the doll clothes, that's what will be remembered.
ReplyDeletejust enjoy the season-there's no race to see if you can do all on your list by a certain deadline. I've been to my first Christmas party and not a decoration in my house YET and I've received 2 Christmas cards and haven't sent mine out yet but it's EARLY DECEMBER...relax!
ReplyDeleteI was reminded of a poem that doesn't really apply, so I won't write it when I read this. The message was: those other things can wait. Violet will only be the age she is now once. She will only be playing with dolls for a short period of time. She will treasure the things you made that doll forever. She did the important things today.
ReplyDeleteI am reading this, and commenting instead of working on my Christmas letter. I guess we are all in the same procrastinator boat.
The doll clothes are so sweet...Miss V will love them and what a stylish doll she will have! As for the wrapping of gifts-ha! There are gifts purchased but nary a one is wrapped...and we don't have a tree up as yet. However our special guest is here for the weekend and I did manage to drape a string of pretty star lights along the cupboards much to his delight!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! These are just so adorable. I wish I could knit.
ReplyDeleteI did get my e-mail newsletters finally done. My hard-copy newsletters are almost done. My presents were almost all bought until somebody sent us a box of goodies. Now we have to shop again.