Tropical storm Irene wasn't too hard on us here, in that no lives were lost. Several homes in Maine are still without power, however, and our home is one of them.We do have a generator, thank heavens, so we have power off and on throughout the day. When the generator isn't providing power for us, it's providing power for our neighbors directly across the road. Ken has been working hard since noon on Sunday to keep both houses going. After we've had a few hours of electricity, Ken wheels the heavy generator across the road to our neighbors, hooks it up there, gives them a few hours of power, then wheels it back to us. I think he's getting tired of the ritual.
And here is the culprit: a downed tree at our neighbors just up the road. What gets me is this particular tree has lost a limb in a storm THREE TIMES in the past couple of years. The lost limbs always fall on our electric lines, resulting in a power outage. I think it's time that particular tree was put out of its misery.I got my hopes up a couple of hours ago this morning when a Central Maine Power truck finally visited the site of this outage. Come to find out, it was here only to remove the downed limb. The power lines are still severed. Who knows when the lines will be replaced? Today? Tomorrow? Next week? According to news reports, there are so many power outages that some could take several days to be restored.
We lost a couple of trees in the storm. This limb broke off the tree where a pair of Baltimore orioles nested last year.
We lost a couple of trees in the storm. This limb broke off the tree where a pair of Baltimore orioles nested last year.
I know the damage could be much worse, of course. I've seen evidence on t.v. of washed-out bridges in western Maine and of terrible flooding in Vermont. We could have it a whole lot worse.
Isn't it amazing how keenly we miss our modern conveniences? Glad you're damage was managable, but for Ken's sake, I hope electricity is restored quickly. Any way to kill that tree in the dark of night if they don't cut it down?
ReplyDeleteLinda, I was entertaining just such a thought. That miserable tree is responsible for many, many homes, and even an elementary school to be without power.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are safe, but sorry you are without power. I hope it is soon restored.
ReplyDeleteWhen trees like that cause problems, they should be removed. They pose a risk to many and an inconvenience to an entire community. There is such a thing as social responsibility. I hope the homeowners realize that and get rid of the tree.
we've heard of your weather problems over here in Iceland. it's been beautiful weather here until today and it's rained all day. good thing we are leaving tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteUpdate! Our power is back on. No more wheeling the generator back and forth across the road for Ken...until the next significant storm. Now think
ReplyDeleteof the folks in western Maine, and especially in Vermont, who are in dire straits.
Hi Jean!
ReplyDeleteTropical storm is the same as typhoon?
In Japan in summer many typhoons come.
and now the middle of japan is terribly damaged.
these days there are terrible rains in Japan. probably it's because global warming.
I heard nuclear plants are good
because it's not leading to global warming.
but you know nuclear plants are scary!
by the way thank you for your kindness always to me.
I'm so happy I met you on the blog!