Why do I volunteer to take on projects that I know little about?The Maine state chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa needs a new banner, because our current one is very old and very tired.
The "Banner Committee" looked into having one professionally made, but the price would be around $400...for a 30" X 40" banner. We don't have that kind of money, and a professionally-made one might end up slick and not "us."
So after some soul-searching, I've volunteered to make our new state banner. I know. I know. I've created this situation all by myself.
I know I can handle the piecing and the quilting; it's the designing that is putting me over the edge. I'm not a designer of anything.This morning I made a paper template of the banner and began fooling around with layout and design.
I know I want Portland Head Light to appear on the banner, because if Maine has a signature at all, it is definitely Portland Head Light. Also, I've discovered that there are two books of appliqué patterns featuring New England lighthouses, and Portland Head Light in in both books. I've ordered one of them from eBay and am hoping it'll arrive soon. I'm also hoping the appliqué design for the lighthouse will be quite simple, because I'm not into fiddling around with millions of tiny pieces of fabric.
So Portland Head Light will, if all goes according to plan, be appliqued in the upper right or lower left section of the banner. "Maine A∆K" will run kitty-corner across the banner, from upper left to lower right.
So Portland Head Light will, if all goes according to plan, be appliqued in the upper right or lower left section of the banner. "Maine A∆K" will run kitty-corner across the banner, from upper left to lower right.But what should appear in the other major section? I've temporarily stuck a cut-out of the state map there, but that's not what I really want. What I really want is a chickadee, which should be easy enough to applique because it's quite a basic, no-frills bird (and our state bird), but I haven't found an applique pattern for one yet and I'm not capable of drawing a chickadee. I'm not capable of drawing anything except, maybe, a stick chickadee, which would turn the banner into a giant cartoon.
And then there are the violets. A∆K's flower is the violet, so violets must appear on the banner.
I think I'll let this project sit for awhile as ideas come and go. If you have ideas to offer, please send them my way.
That is quite a project. I'll be anxious to see the completed project.
ReplyDeleteHave you looked into finding fabric with a chickadee on it that you could applique on the banner or perhaps a cross stich chickadee?
Perhaps you could do one or the other for the violets as well.
Hi Jean...You got yourself a job there haven't you!!
ReplyDeleteYou didn't have enough on the go already with all those projects??lol ; }
"Good luck" I bet you will do a good job.
bet you could find a chickadee online...what a creative project-you can do it!
ReplyDeleteAre you crazy, woman? Actually, I can already tell it's going to be a thing of beauty. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteNow that is one big project! I know you will come up with something and the banner will be the best one ever.
ReplyDeleteOh my! You are a very creative, talented person. I know it's going to be terrific and that you'll share it with us, right?
ReplyDelete