I made four pints of Sweet Tomato Relish yesterday. I hadn't made any relish in a year or two, due to lack of tomatoes in my garden, but this year I have a bumper crop, so I figured I could use a few green tomatoes for the relish.
I've used this particular relish recipe for probably 35 years. It comes from my beloved Fannie Farmer cookbook, the cookbook I bought my first year of teaching (1968) when I discovered, much to my horror and amazement, that I didn't know how to cook.
I'd grown up watching my mother cook and bake, day in and day out, and I'd forgotten to take note, I guess.So I bought a Fannie Farmer cookbook, and it helped me stay alive those first years on my own.
I still use this cookbook a lot, although I have fancier and prettier ones now. But it's this one which contains the Sweet Tomato Relish recipe that I like, and the meatloaf recipe that Ken likes, and many other good, practical, no-frills-or-exotic-ingredients recipes.
I never think to buy mixed pickling spices, so I always have to mix my own and put them into a cheesecloth bag. The spices include celery seed, cinnamon sticks, ground mustard, whole cloves,...and the recipe for this comes from my Joy of Cooking book, which isn't nearly as old as my Fannie Farmer, but it's far from new, too.The green tomatoes are chopped and put through a food grinder; onions and green peppers are added, then some sugar and salt. That's about it.


I loved the pictures of your old cookbooks with the handwriting in them. I also loved your description of growing up and realizing you didn't know how to cook.
ReplyDeleteLooks mighty tasty. Fannie Farmer looks rather tattered so you must have used her a lot through the years.
ReplyDeletelooks delicious. I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook from 1964 that taught me to cook too and still helps me out. Fun!
ReplyDeleteLove tomato relish. Have your tried fried green tomatoes?
ReplyDeleteMy mouth is watering for the relish! Aren't the older cookbooks the best? I still have my very first cookbook, Betty Crocker, that Mom gave to me on my 13th birthday.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had that in such a long, long time. I remember how I loved the taste of it. Sigh...
ReplyDelete