One item on our must-do list while in Beijing was to take a day trip out to the Great Wall and hike as much of it as possible.We'd hiked the Great Wall at BaDaLing, also near Beijing, but wanted to hike a different section of it this time.
So we made reservations with a tour guide and his driver and, along with a friendly couple from India, set out for the Great Wall one sunny, clear morning.
Mercy. Was this climb ever rugged. I knew we were in for a challenge the minute we arrived and looked up at our goal, the second tower. It might not look terribly steep in these photos but trust me, it was steep.
I huffed and puffed and gasped and paused to rest frequently. Ken did likewise, although I think he was actually having a bit easier time of it than I was.
Here's one of the photos I dared take as I turned around and looked behind us. Ever been on stairs so steep that you feel as if you'll tumble forward as you look down at the base? That's how I felt during this climb.
And here we are at the first tower. Why I'm smiling, I don't know, unless it's from lack of oxygen to my brain.Climbing the Great Wall is difficult under any circumstances, but with this section so steep, and with the steps being of various heights, I think I'm cured of the desire to ever climb it again. By the way, we made it only to the first tower, not the second.
It was a good day's adventure, however, and I'm definitely glad I lived to tell about it.

Oh my! I felt a tinge of vertigo looking at the photo you took, looking back! You should be very proud of yourself for the climb, I don't know as if I would have made it up more than a few feet. Was this on your Bucket List?
ReplyDeletePat yourself for making it to the first tower. What a climb!! I'm impressed.
ReplyDeleteWow - amazing pictures!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing place to see!! Good for you for making it that far up. I don't mind the climb as much as I do coming down!! Just looking at the picture you took looking down made me a little dizzy!!
ReplyDeleteand you have photos to prove you were there. That's somewhere I'll never go but am happy you took us along with you. I hiked to Rainbow Bridge in Lake Powell today and it was 93 degrees, thought I'd die of heat exhausting but it was cool-it's usually 100+ degrees. Fun to travel then look back on photos.
ReplyDeleteFabulous pictures! The Great Wall is on my list of places I need to go, but I don't think I'll try that climb.
ReplyDeleteGood for you.
All I can say is "WOW". What an awesome experience. I love your header....absolutely spectacular photo.
ReplyDeleteWow! I'm impressed!
ReplyDeleteSeeing all those steps makes my [RA] knees quake in fear!! Then again, it would not be possible[for me] to climb all those stairs. Love the photos!
Oh gosh, Jean... I've always wanted to walk on the Great Wall and it is on our Bucket List. However, I HATE stairs and that looks awful. I've got to rethink this. I do love seeing your photos though. I could live vicariously through you.
ReplyDelete