Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sprucing up and planting

Ken and I have spent the morning doing spring things: he's been replacing the white-painted boards on the front steps and kitchen steps. The old boards had been in place ten years and were showing their age. 
 
When he removed the boards from the kitchen steps, he found that a critter of some kind had built a rather elaborate condominium under the steps. He filled a wheelbarrow full of the dirt that had been carried under the steps by the critter. Now Ken's devising a fence to put behind the steps to discourage any future squatters from moving in.

I've been doing projects smaller than the one Ken has tackled. I noticed early this morning the hummingbirds have arrived and are drinking thirstily at their feeder, so that inspired me to put an orange out for the orioles. When the hummers arrive, the orioles aren't far behind, so they just might blow into town some time this week. I want them to feel welcomed when they get here. Some years the orioles stay only a few days, then move on; some years a pair stays into early July, having built their nest and hatched their babies. I hope they'll stick around this year.





While poking around the Jack-in-the-pulpits, I noticed one of the Jacks is, indeed, in his pulpit this morning. He's shy, so I had to open the blossom a little so you can see him. Cute little rascal, isn't he?








Last spring I spotted beautiful hanging baskets of flowers at a local greenhouse and threw caution to the wind, purchasing six of them at around $22-24 each. It wasn't long before the baskets looked like the dickens. They looked worse than death warmed over. I don't know why they didn't flourish, but they definitely didn't. Over $120 down the drain, and I don't easily part with $120 only to realize I've wasted my money. So this year I bought trays of wave petunias, dusty miller, and geraniums at Lowe's and have started transplanting them into hanging baskets. For about 1/4 the cost, I know I'll get at least my money's worth, if not a whole lot more.

It's too early to leave these flowers out over night, because "all danger of frost" has not passed and will not pass until the end of May or early June. In the meantime the wagon of flowers will go into the garage on chilly nights and come out again the next morning.

And on a completely unrelated note, one of my sisters and I decided to drive up to Bangor yesterday to have a leisurely look-around at TJ Maxx. Bangor's TJ's is probably the very best we've ever seen. As we were driving along, we started reminiscing about the male teachers we'd had in high school and how we'd lusted after them. Just having these young, handsome men walk over to our desks to offer help with math or science reduced us to, well, giddy teenagers. As we were laughing at our behavior back then, my sister suddenly said, "You realize, don't you, these guys are now in their 70's and 80's, if they're even still alive." That sobered us up.





8 comments:

  1. lovely yard, lots of work but lots of enjoyment. interesting how fast time passes-now we are our grandmothers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's almost time to plant! Yippie! I may start to skip, I'm so excited. Of course, yesterday and today I had to make up a little ditty to sing and keep my spirits up. It rained SO HARD yesterday... sprinkling again today. But, that's okay. The soil and the root systems are just going to be stronger and more prepared to produce a beautiful harvest of flowers and veggies. Just a little more patience...

    Good choice to plant your own containers. I've had a far too similar experience... Like you, I only had it once, though. My mom, didn't raise any totally stupid kids.

    I laughed out loud at your reminiscing. It was hilarous. I had a strong visual of the two of you and it was such a good time. Oh gosh... I did laugh seeing the you two gals twittering and giggling. What in the world brought such a conversation about?
    And I understand so well...
    All the handsome young men of my youth have become shrunken, or bloated, bald or balding versions of their prior selves. Many with yellow teeth, or no teeth, and all with baggy pants. Well... almost all. There is one.......sigh. Full head of hair and piercing blue eyes. He still has broad shoulders, a trim tummy and a cute little walk away... you get the drift. Yeah, one of them is still somewhat dreamy. Fortunately, he's the one I married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you found "Jack"! I wonder what in heck the critter was under the steps, especially one who brought in a wheelbarrow full of dirt? Did you ever wonder where a huge hole in the yard may have come from? I will set orange slices out on my bluebird boxes tomorrow, thanks for the idea. I can just imagine you and Aunt Roberta laughing your heads off over the teachers...I seem to remember we had a few hysterical moments when Mom and I went with you to NB! You must be the instigator! Oh, by the way, what did you bring home for treasures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing this year with my planters, and saved a fortune! I love the jar of marbles on the sill in your header, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better luck with your baskets this year.

    Funny, I don't feel much older now, but I wonder who that woman is who jumps in front of the mirror every time I pass by. She is showing a little wear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caryn, I think my sister and I might have started the hot-high-school-teachers conversation after the college-years conversation. My sister went to college in Bangor, our destination that day, so that triggered a lot of good, old memories, such as her buying me my first McDonad's meal for a total of something like 55¢ at the McDonald's in Bangor. I was thrilled to have a McDonald's meal and to have it paid for by someone else. Glad to hear your handsome young man is still handsome. Do is mine.

    Cheryl, Yes, we sure did enjoy some hysterical laughter during our NB trip. We must do that again. For treasures at TJ Maxx, I found a "Fresh Produce" skirt for $7, and spring nightie, a shirt for Ken...oh, and some towels. I love nice towels.

    Heather, The jar of marbles is the very same marble collection I won was a ruthless player-of-marbles on the elementary school playground.

    And Jo, an older woman jumps into view in my mirror, too. Darn her. It can't be a reflection of me, because I feel 30 and not a day older...most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...I liked the jar of marbles before, but now I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I related to so much of this wonderful post. I love that Jack-in-the Pulpit. It's such an unusual looking plant. I can really relate to the critter problem. We had a skunk under our deck for the longest time and it was a constant battle to keep him out. I love all your flowers. Yae to spring.

    ReplyDelete