Today's Maine Sunday Telegram contains an article extolling the virtues of white vinegar. My heart swelled with pride as I read it. It was if one of my own had been noticed, finally, for all of its goodness.I've used white vinegar for various cleaning jobs for many years. It was when we bought a new car last year, however, that I totally fell in love with white vinegar. Now we're joined at the hip.
I'd tried everything to get the film off the inside of the new car's windows: store-bought window cleaners, even baking soda (what a mess that made!), but nothing would do the trick.
Then I consulted my trusty Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean, and she suggested a mixture of white vinegar, water, and a tad of isopropyl alcohol. Voila! Finally, finally, I had clean, unstreaked, un-filmy car windows.
So now there is no stopping me: I keep the spray bottle handy, and I use it to clean nearly everything: the bathroom mirror (It no longer clouds up when I take a shower), the microwave, the stove top, the door of the dishwasher, the t.v. screen, you name it. I even wash the kitchen floor with water and a glug of white vinegar.
Another thing I've added to my housecleaning arsenal is six large, white, all-cotton cloths. I bought these for little or nothing at a discount store (Marden's, for you Mainers), and I use and reuse them constantly. I toss them in the washer after each use, whether I've been washing windows or dusting or cleaning the bathroom, and I have supply on hand at all times for the next cleaning gig. Sure saves on paper towels, and they do a better job than paper towels.
These are my cleaning tips for today. Try white vinegar, folks. You won't look back.
I took my first step towards using vinegar on my windows-oh happy days!! And I remember another household product that Mom made us use once a week on our toothbrushes-baking soda, ack! And now sometoothpaste contains it-so Mom DOES KNOW BEST!
ReplyDeleteOh, my word, Cheryl. Don't even get me STARTED on all the virtues of baking soda!
ReplyDeleteI've been using vinegar for about 7mos now! I use it in the laundry during the rinse cycle (helps get rid of excess soap on clothes) as well as cleaning the house. Its GREAT to use on counters to get rid of fruit flies. I also have borax and washing soap that I use to clean. Got the tips off How Clean Is Your House on BCC!! Cleans toilets like you wouldn't believe!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips, Margaret. The soap you use with Borax, is it laundry soap or dish soap, or something else?
ReplyDeleteI use equal parts of white vinegar and water, mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil, as a natural countertop disinfectant. I love it! I turned Steve onto using vinegar in his "chemical" sprayer to get rid of weeds. He finally tried it and was amazed at how well it worked. I wasn't too comfortable with chemicals being sprayed in the back yard, with two busy little boys rolling around out there all the time, so I'm glad the vinegar is doing what Steve wanted it to do!
ReplyDeleteYep, vinegar kills weed. I've used it this summer. Also, it wipes out ant hills.
ReplyDeleteOops! I meant weeds, not weed. I don't know what, if anything, it does for weed.
ReplyDeleteAunt Jean, its made by Arm & Hammer and its called Super Washing Soda. Its in the laundry detergent aisle. Its GREAT stuff!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this tip! I'm going to go out and get an extra bottle of vinegar.
ReplyDeleteChez moi, le vinaigre blanc sert à conserver les cornichons...
ReplyDeleteEt parfois pour la salade...