Here's another favorite cake recipe from my Swedish friend. (It seems that the majority of my favorite recipes are from Lynn.) The Swedes know how to cook and bake, that's for sure. This is a cake I enjoy making for special occasions in the summer, when fresh fruit is plentiful.Auntie Bea's Torta
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
4 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
1 c. cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
5 T. milk (just under 1/4 c.)
4 egg whites
1 c. sugar
chopped walnuts
fresh fruit
Cream together butter and 1/2 c. sugar. Add egg yolks, well beaten, and vanilla.
Stir together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with milk.
Spread into two 8-inch pans. (I grease the bottom only of each pan, then line the bottom only with parchment paper.)
Beat egg whites until stiff; add 1 cup sugar gradually. (I use about 3/4 c. sugar.) Spread over each layer of batter and cover with chopped nuts.
Bake 1/2 hour in 325° oven.
Turn out carefully. Cool. Put together with fresh fruit (sliced peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.) and whipped cream or any cream filling.
What can I say?? This looks so delicious...
ReplyDeleteRemember when you made this for me, when you visited Camden and I in Idaho? You used fresh peaches. Yum. I will have to make this soon.
ReplyDeleteI'd forgotten all about this, Heather (not about visiting you and Camden, but about making the torte!). That was a fun week for me.
ReplyDeleteGosh, Jean... I'd like to move closer to you because you are such a good cook. Granted, I'd probably have to go on a diet because I'd never stop eating your delicious treats. Thanks for keeping me company on my trip. I'm car-lagged right now. My body still thinks it's in Illinois so I was up at 4:00 AM here in California.
ReplyDeleteStill hoping you'll come back sometime soon for a visit...
ReplyDelete