Monday, October 17, 2016

"Cake" hats

It seems that everyone on Knitting Paradise is talking about the new Caron Cakes yarn. I decided I'd better join the fray.

I went to Michael's a couple of weeks ago, my 40% off coupon on my iPhone, and selected this cake.

It's 80% acrylic, 20% wool, with 383 yards of worsted weight yarn.
The regular price is $7.99, but with my 50% off coupon that day, I paid roughly $4.

Then I had to decide what to knit with my Caron Cakes yarn.

I settled on more hats to donate to various organizations which collect winter hats for those who need them.

I wasn't sure how attractive the hats would be, due to the long color changes. But I soldiered on.

After a couple of weeks of knitting, the Cake was almost gone, and I had five hats off the needles.


Here, my new knitting partner, Sage, helped me knit one of the hats. "Help" might be a strong word here. "Got in the way of" might be better.

My favorite pattern for knitting these hats was the Barley Hat. It's a free, well-written, and easy pattern.


I like the quality of this yarn. It reminds me a great deal of Plymouth's Encore yarn, which is my go-to yarn for knitting washable children's items.

Here are the five finished hats. Also here lies the little bit of leftover yarn. Five winter hats for a little over $4. Not bad.

6 comments:

  1. That's really cool. Very pretty. Reminded me to reach down the the bottom shelf of the table by my chair and pull out the sock I was knitting when interrupted by summer. It's sock time again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try again. That yarn designed some very prettily colored hats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun and will be needed in a short little while!

    ReplyDelete