Thursday, October 16, 2008

Nothing Important

It's a drizzly day with the leaves falling rapidly from the trees. I don't enjoy this time of year once the leaves have fallen. I find it depressing with the landscape so stark. But there's the first snowfall of the season to look forward to, and that's always exciting because the landscape is once again beautiful. The first snowfall won't arrive for at least a month, though....

Molly and I set out for our morning walk awhile ago, then it promptly started to rain more heavily. We endured the rain briefly then headed back home. Undaunted, we'll try again later.

Tomorrow is the big Lobster Box Lunch fundraiser for my organization, Alpha Delta Kappa. We sell over 400 lunches, which consist of a lobster roll, chips, pickles, and homemade brownies. All of this for a mere $8. Not a bad deal. We'll meet at a member's home at 6:00 a.m. and frantically assemble the lobster rolls and pack the boxes. I'm glad we do this only once a year, because it's a lot of work. It's a good fundraiser, though; we use the money for scholarships, donations to needy causes, and to sponsor a family in need at Christmas. My two big batches of brownies are cooling on the kitchen counter. Our chapter of A∆K has been selling lobster box lunches for so many years that we have the entire procedure right down to a science: who buys the fresh lobster, who buys the buns, who buys the pickles, etc. We're a well-oiled machine.

When I was at Briggs & Little yarn shop in Harvey, NB last week, I took a chance and bought 8 hanks of yarn from their "Odds and Ends" bin. The hanks were $2 each, for a worsted weight 100% wool, 270 yds. per hank. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've wound all of the hanks into skeins and am pleased that the yarn is all of excellent quality. The sales clerk said they might be in the Odds and Ends bin because their dye lot is slightly "off," and I suspect that's exactly the case with my bargains. Anyway, I'm knitting myself a sweater with the yarn; not a bad deal since the sweater will require about six skeins of the yarn, totaling $12. I do love a good bargain. I'm not a Yankee AND Scottish for nuthin'. 

As you've deduced by now, I have nothing to write about, but I wanted to update my post.


7 comments:

  1. what do you mean nothing to write about. you wrote lots about many different things. would love to have lobstar roll-only had one in maine when on vacation there years ago. be thankful for rain, we've had very little this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My worst months are November and March, so depressing. But it sounds like tomorrow you'll be having a blast with good friends, good food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the landscape gets kind of stark. And the cold temps, winds, weather in general are things we have to get thru. But fortunately, this too shall pass, and bring back a welcome spring awakening! Imagine living in Alaska or Africa where it doesn't change much. Good luck with your fund raiser, although it seems like you've got it down to a science! Mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would have enjoyed partaking of the lobster roll! What a great system you have. Sounds very efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lunch sounds yummy; I'd have bought one, especially for such a good cause.

    Love to see the sweater when you've finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had plenty to write about and I've got my $8.00 for that lobster box lunch. Now if I could just get myself over there.

    ReplyDelete