Last Friday Ken and I took a drive to my hometown in central/western Maine: North Anson.
Along the way we stopped at the Wire Bridge in New Portland.
We hadn't visited the Wire Bridge in years, not since my stepfather's death in 1981. My mother had lived in North New Portland while married to my stepfather. He loved the wire bridge and made sure his stepchildren admired it during visits with him and my mother.
After my stepfather died, my mother moved back to North Anson. That pretty much ended our visits to the Wire Bridge.
The bridge is a unique bridge, in that it is a suspension bridge, one of four built in Maine in the 1860's. It's now the only one still standing,...and still usable.
It's probably the only bridge of its type in the entire U.S.
On Friday Ken and I walked across it, viewing it from all angles.
Ken pointed out, just as we started the walk, that the bridge sways. That's the nature of a suspension bridge.
We also drove across it in order to continue our journey to North Anson.
We both enjoyed seeing the old bridge again. It's still a beauty, despite its 150+ years.










There was an old suspension bridge near our family cemetery. I loved that old bridge but it's been gone for many years. I'm sorry my children did not get to experience it. I can see you're living in a very colorful world these days.
ReplyDeleteamazing. love your autumn colors~
ReplyDeleteWhat a treat for you and for us! Wow. That is one cool bridge. I'd love to see it. This is a great part of the country. I love it rural roads.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very interesting bridge. It must be so much fun to actually walk over it and feel it sway.
ReplyDeleteOh, that's cool!
ReplyDelete