Saturday, May 23, 2015

Third (and last!)



This is my third, and I'm 99% certain, last adult Aran cardigan. ( I've also knitted three or four children's Aran cardigans.)

I started it on April 1 and finished the knitting and sewing-together on May 15. It was a long project. This morning I finally added the buttons.

The pattern itself is wonderful: If you want to knit an adult Aran cardigan, the pattern by Yankee Knitter can't be beat. In fact, I've knitted several Yankee Knitter designs and would be hard-pressed to find a fault in any of them. It's fun to see the various knitting designs emerge from the project while making it,...but it's also a slow endeavor.


I worked on it each and every day from April 1 to May 15. I'm not saying I worked on it for hours each day, but I think it's safe to say two hours per day is a conservative estimate. Some days I gave it more of my time, some days I gave it less, but each day it enjoyed a bit of my time.

My first adult Aran was for me. I've worn it a lot. On a cold Maine winter day, there's nothing warmer, for sure.

The second was for my sister. I've never seen her wear it.

This one is for my dear friend Lynn. I know she wants an Aran cardigan, so I think she'll surely wear it. She bought many skeins of off-white wool yarn to knit an Aran for herself, many years ago. She put the yarn in a storage container, waiting for the day when she felt she had time to start knitting the cardigan.

Last summer the time had come. She removed the skeins from storage...only to discover the moths had been having a field day and the yarn was now little more than bits and pieces of wool.

So Lynn will get this Aran cardigan at Christmas this year. Meanwhile, I'll store it in a moth-proof container.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing, what a good friend you are. Take your sister's back. It needs to belong to someone who will wear it & share its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so impressive. As one who does not knit, I am blown away by this kind of beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous sweater-you are the professional! Just beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an incredible, talented, amazing friend. Lynn will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete