Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A flash of indigo

I glanced out our kitchen window one day last week just in time to see a flash of rich blue fly from the nearby bridal wreath to the flowering crab tree a short distance away.

I immediately thought bluebird!

I do love the little bluebirds, and we often see them in the spring.


Later in the day, though, I looked out the kitchen window to the feeder, and what was enjoying a feast there but an indigo bunting.

This was even more exciting than seeing a bluebird, because the buntings are not seen as regularly in this area.
I got little done for the next two days because I was on lookout duty at the window.

I spotted the bunting a few more times and even managed to get a few half-decent photos.

As it turned out, the female was with her partner, but she was a less dramatic blue.

Now the two have moved farther north for the summer.

It was nice having them as guests for a few days.

4 comments:

  1. What lovely birds. I bet you were so excited to see them. I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such electric blue! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That's awesome! I saw my first bluebird just a few years ago at Yellowstone and couldn't believe the color. It was just like your photo. They must be the brightest birds around. I was surprised when my mom said they are called The Blue Birds of Happiness in Japanese.

    ReplyDelete