Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ever made a vegetable oven pancake?

Yesterday morning, right smack in the middle of exercise class, as I wondered when the torture would end, I happened to think of a Vegetable Oven Pancake.

I have no idea why the oven pancake popped into my head. Maybe I was just desperate to escape to something more pleasurable than jumping and bending and lifting weights.

Anyway, a Vegetable Oven Pancake it was, and what a pleasant memory, indeed.
I hadn't made one for a few years, and I don't know why, because both of us love it.

If there's a right time of year, or best time of year, to serve this delightful dish, it's now. Fresh broccoli, fresh green peppers, fresh onions, fresh tomatoes...need I say more?

The recipe I use comes from the Food Network, but there are other variations of it on the web.

For the first time I used my cast iron skillet for baking it. I was rather sorry I did, because it made the beautiful pancake crust a little too dark for my liking. I'll go back to using a pie plate next time.

The final result was still delicious, though. Both Ken and I had seconds.

I think I'll make another one next week. My garden is producing green peppers and tomatoes like crazy.

2 comments: