My Aunt Jean, probably my favorite aunt if one were allowed to have a favorite aunt, always had needlework of some kind under way when we would visit her in New Brunswick. I marveled at Aunt Jean's needlepoint, which I never learned myself, as well as her knitting, her quilt-making, her sewing, and her crocheting. When Aunt Jean sat down to rest for a minute, she always had needlework of some kind in her hands. When I would take my mother to Fredericton to visit her brother and sister-in-law, I always enjoyed talking quilting or crocheting with Aunt Jean. We would sit on their front porch in the warm July evenings and work on our current needlework together. We would tease Uncle Harry that he really needed to learn to crochet, too. Aunt Jean shared several of her favorite crochet patterns with me, and I treasure them.
I guess it stands to reason that I would develop a real appreciation for well-made and creative needlework. My mother taught me to sew and heaven knows she certainly tried to teach me to knit. The knitting lessons were for naught, because I just could not grasp the complexity of knitting directions.
It wasn't until 50 years later, when my mother was 100 or 101 and couldn't really comprehend that I was finally learning to knit, that I taught myself how. I've always regretted that she never understood that I was finally, officially, a knitter. I wasn't a failure after all!
When Ken and I go to flea markets, when I'm not eyeing the bone china, I am drawn to needlework items. Often the prices are too high, if the seller happens to understand the value of handmade works of art, but sometimes I snag wonderful bargains.
Such is the case with this crocheted tablecloth above, with white daisies enhanced by multicolored centers.
My heavens, that tablecloth is beautiful! When I think of the hours that must have gone into it, no doubt by a woman whose daily tasks were as overwhelming as my mother's, I'm humbled. I spotted it at the Montsweag Flea Market last Wednesday. I asked the price and was told $20. I knew I wasn't prepared to pay $20 for it, so I started to replace it on the display rack. It was then that I noticed the tablecloth has several signs of wear in it, better known as frayed holes.
I mentioned this to the seller, and he promptly said, "Then I'll take a dollar for it, but don't tell my wife!" I promised him his secret was safe, and the exquisite tablecloth came home with me.
I feel it has found a good home where it will be appreciated. I hope I can find a way to mend the frayed areas, but if I can't, I can still treasure it.
The table runner to the left, with the blue flowers, is another flea market find. Someone worked carefully and diligently to embroider the designs and add a crocheted edge.
This is yet another flea market treasure, a bureau scarf embroidered with beautiful yellow flowers with green stems and leaves. It's very meticulously stitched, and it's in excellent condition.
And finally, I love this white-on-white linen tablecloth with hand-embroidered flowers in only one corner. It's lovely, and I'm now the proud owner. I paid $2 for this at Montsweag a couple of years ago.
I sometimes wonder what will become of my needlework items in the future. I don't pretend they're of the calibre of many of my flea-market finds, but I've given so many of them away as gifts. Are they treated with the kindness they deserve? And will they be passed on to someone new to appreciate? I hope so.






That tablecloth is lovely. I would have paid the $20! But the main this is that it goes to someone who loves and appreciated it. I have some old linens from my grandmother that I love.
ReplyDeleteYour finds are wonderful. I love the tablecloth. I bet the seller's wife would really be upset if she knew what it went for, but good for you for having a good eye to see the frayed parts.
ReplyDeletewhat treasures, i have my mom cedar chest with many embroidered items my grandmother made. she worked on them while tv in the evenings. i also have some fun woven items from my trips to sweden. all folded and hidden away-would like to display them somehow so I could enjoy them more...
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of wonderful pieces of knitting & crocheting, both done with very fine thread. I always wonder ho they could see to do that fine work since it was befor3 the days of electricity or cataract surgery.
ReplyDeleteI love each and every one of the treasures displayed here...and a wonderful memory for me is of Grammy always knitting, knitting, knitting WITHOUT loooking!! I was so impressed by the fact that she would be talking to me and knitting away! I wished I knew how to crochet and have purchased a couple of how-to books to try to teach myself!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could knit or embroider. I did try crocheting and wasn't good at it. My embroidery work was also ummm... nothing that would become an heirloom. I wish I kept the pieces that my mother and grandmother made. Sigh....
ReplyDeleteYour treasures are really fabulous finds. You're so lucky!
These are all very beautiful! I especially love the quilt, because I am a quilter :-) But the crochet is beautiful and so much work. I have aunts and a grandmother who crocheted constantly. It is so much work and so much of it ends up in antique shops and other places unwanted in the end. I saw your blog listed on Grammie G's site and had to stop and see the neelework.
ReplyDelete