I was hoping our kitchen remodeling project would be 100% completed before I posted any photos, but we're still waiting for the finishing touch, the crown moulding at the top of the cabinets, to be installed, and I don't want to postpone sharing these photos any longer.
So here's my new kitchen! I love it.
It all started when we realized we needed to replace the sink. It was a cast-iron sink with a ceramic glaze, and some of the glaze had cracked and chipped away, revealing rusty iron beneath it.
Ken said if we were going to replace the sink, then we might as well replace the vinyl flooring and put in hardwood, which I'd often said I'd like some day.
Then he said if we're going to replace the flooring, we might as well replace the cabinets while we're at it. I balked at this, because the former cabinets were only 12 years old, but I'd often wished I'd chosen white cabinets instead of stained hickory....
Then I said if we're replacing the cabinets, why not install granite counter tops, which we've both dreamed about....
And the old hutch? It had no windows in the doors, and I wanted an area to display my collection of Watt Ware....
We got an estimate on having the kitchen design center also build us a hutch, but once we heard the cost of doing so, we decided we might as well go to a furniture store and purchase a hutch. This one was made not only in the USA, but practically next door in Massachusetts, for crying out loud. (How Ken and I managed to get the top half of the hutch positioned over the bottom half, without creating a disaster, is a story for another time. Those hutch sections are extremely heavy.)
Oh, and we also replaced the plain kitchen window with a bay window. I've been wanting a bay there since before we built this house. I now have a place to display flowering plants, start seedlings in the spring, and put up a small Christmas tree in December.
So that's how my new kitchen came to be. Preparing meals and baking are now a treat with so much
s-p-a-c-e to work in.




A bay window, how nice. I always wanted a bay window. I'd never heard of Watt Ware so I looked that up and learned something new. It looks like you have a large kitchen, most women would love that. It's all awesome and light. Good work. You made excellent choices.
ReplyDeleteI love it! I really do. You did a spectacular job of planning. You will really enjoy this new space.
ReplyDeleteit's lovely and you certainly deserved all the changes for you spent lots of time in the kitchen...congrats!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow. That's beautiful! And very functional too. I am envious!
ReplyDeleteHi Jean....Great space, lots of light,and love that island...especially with a place for the legs to go into, that's a good feature!!
ReplyDeleteYour a lucky lady : }}}
Grace
Wonderful kitchen update. The bay window idea really got me to thinking. A great idea.
ReplyDeleteYour header is gorgeous. Amazing petunias.
Surely am enjoying our Word games.
BEAUTIFUL kitchen Aunt Jean!! I'm jealous. Is the granite hard to keep clean? I would love to have a concrete countertop someday.
ReplyDeleteI don't have enough words to express just how impressed we are. My husband and I renovated our kitchen 6 years ago and know what a huge job it is. You have done a first class, Good Housekeeping magazine job. It looks PERFECT!!! Woooow!
ReplyDeleteIt is beautiful. Funny how one thing leads to another when decorating or remodeling. Glad you are happy with the results.
ReplyDelete